Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pages are not centred (Web Designer MX 8 pro)

I find that the pages of the website produced with Xara Web Designer 8 Premium are presented on the left side, not centred. How can I set them to appear central on the browser.
    I see there is a tweakset for version 7 that enables the pages to appear on the left. Is that relevant for me and for a later version, ie version 8.
    Thank you for helping this newcomer to Xara.

Default Re: Pages are not centred (Web Designer MX 8 pro)

By default and without any effort from the user, all website pages are centred in Web Designer MX Premium.
    This is evident in that there are special tweaks to override this and force it to the left for those who want this deviation..

Perhaps you could post a link to pages that show us what you are seeing or post a .web file which display this problem?

Edit: Just thought, are you referring to the page position in Web Designer itself and not after publishing?
    Pages in the Web Designer 'design stage' may be to the left of the pasteboard area when you first load a new page, but this position is completely irrelevant (you can hold the mouse wheel down and drag this page work area to any position) as it is not representative of the html output.
    Web Designer is not a html editor, there is no internal html code while you are designing it, all the magic happens when you publish
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 10 December 2012 at 11:39 AM.

Thank you Sledger for your prompt reply. The pages are on the left after publishing on the web (www.mycleanindia.org) whereas a week agon they were centred so something has happened to the CSS to have created that outcome.I note that there is a Tweak it to have them on the left so I hope I can get the pages centred again somehow.

gosh that is a WIDE page - had to plug in a second monitor to see it all :-) (just kidding! )

Have you changed your page width, by dragging the edge for instance? If you have, then anything on there will be on the left
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

YES I did insert an extra wide page before the other (standard width pages). Does that cause the problem? If so, how do I get my pages to centre again on the browser (other than removing the first (wide) image page)?

On reflection it would create the extra space on the right but it would also leave the space on the left. I suggest you make a copy of your file, remove that first wide page and do a page preview, see what happens.

It would be useful if you could post your .web file here

PS The default setting is that the page is centred in the browser. The tweak only has an affect if you include it in your file. It can't be applied by accident in other words
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

I expect you've created the pages that follow your home page first, then created the wider home page. If you had "All pages in document the same" option ticked this would widen all your pages, leaving the images, text etc looking as though they where left aligned. Do as John suggest, delete the home page, and with "All pages in document the same" option still ticked, reduce the page size. Then un-tick "All pages in document the same" and recreate your wider home page. This should solve your problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	png.pn.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	93469  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

You have two instances of the Google analytics code in the head. The second instance has no closing </script> tag which causes the problem.
    Remove the second instance from the pages and this will correct the issue.

<script type="text/javascript">

var _gaq = _gaq || [];
    _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-36565250-1']);
    _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'mycleanindia.org']);
    _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);

(function() {
    var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
    ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
    var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
    })();

</script>
    <script type="text/javascript">

var _gaq = _gaq || [];
    _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-36565250-1']);
    _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'mycleanindia.org']);
    _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);

(function() {
    var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
    ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
    var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
    })();

</head>
    An example .xar file is attached to demonstrate the effect.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 10 December 2012 at 07:46 PM.

SOLVED! But first a very big THANK YOU guys! Your generosity of spirit to offer help touched me and inspires me to participate more actively (when I get my head around Xara which is like MS Word when it came out to replace the clunky WordPerfect, remember that?).
    Anyhow, yes, it is solved! Sledger in his obvious thoroughness and eye to detail put his finger on it, an unclosed </script> tag. (This came about from a cut and paste from a tiny window offered by Xara and arguably careless on my part). So yes, closed the script and voila, the pages move back to centre. Thank you Sledger for the effort.
    (There are two places where html can be added, by page and by website and hence the duplication).
    Xara reduces the clunkiness of the traditional webauthoring software but one has to be careful.