Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Windows 8 and xara

anybody have any experience of this, i am about to upgrade my laptop, which has xp, i know its old hat now but i like it, trouble is its too limiting now so want to upgrade my laptop with a windows 8 platform so that i dont have to upgrade for a while.

how does webdesigner work in this environment, any issues?

Default Re: Windows 8 and xara

I've had no issues with running Web Designer MX Premium or Designer Pro X with Windows 8.
    As far as I can tell, Xara also state that it is compatible on their site.

Minimum System Requirements
    Microsoft® Windows® XP | Vista® | 7 | 8
    Intel® Celeron® or newer, or AMD® Sempron® or newer
    500MB of RAM
    300MB of available hard-disk space
    http://www.xara.com/us/downloads/webdesigner/

thanks Sledger..........didnt want to go to all the expense of an upgrade if there were problems. lots of friends warning me that windows 8 is terrible to use unless on a tablet, so a bit worried about that
    Last edited by TXAlba; 16 December 2012 at 10:42 AM.

The new StartUI (aka: Metro) can be a bit of a pain at first, but the regular desktop is still there just like you're used to (with a few cosmetic changes)

I just purchased a new computer with Windows 8 64-bit. It is a bit gimmicky but on the other hand, I might get to liking the Metro Start screen. I have ESPN and Amazon apps on there which open to a full screen for both.

As sledger says, you do your work in the Desktop screen which works exactly the same as the Windows 7.

Windows 8 loads and is up to speed in about 20 seconds. My last computer took close to 4 minutes before it established an internet connection.

I used a product called PCMover Pro to transfer my files and settings from my old computer. It is not cheap, about $70US, but it transferred all my programs and settings including the Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 and Microsoft Office. I had to install Xara Designer Pro X and my previous versions of Xara products. Not sure why. But all and all, the transfer was pretty painless except for the withdrawal being off line all during the transfer.

@ tx200man:- I upgraded my PC to Windows 8 pro with no problems, had to reinstall Xara etc of course. All work well, including XDPX - faster it seems to me - but all these open in desktop view even if you access them from the new UI - nb just think of Start as being the old start menu in horizontal form Navigation can be a bit long winded on the new UI but things like Search on the Charms bar is context sensitive and is a great improvement imo ... you can even start searching just by typing without initially opening charms

Because everything bar the windows apps open on the desktop view I tired - and now like - the Start 8 program from Stardock ... only a fiver - this gives a windows 7 style start menu with the shutdown/sleep/restart/hibernate button, which exists in 8 but takes a couple more moves and clicks.

@ sledger - does that really say 500mb of Ram?
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodeist View Post
    @ sledger - does that really say 500mb of Ram?
    Yes it really does..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	minreq.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	93553  

Ah ... right ... mb! :-D Just don't associate Ram and mb I suppose
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Thanks guys, definitely eased my concerns so will be buying the new lappy very soon.