Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Google Map not displaying correctly in Firefox

When using the Google Map widget or even the Bing Map widget after selecting the correct location and linking the location into Xara, Xara then displays the location as requested. Using the display as web page with Xara is shows me the map, I think the default is IE and in this it seems to work, I can click and drag the map around, the links all work except the + and - in the top left hand corner, if I then change to Firefox my preferred Browser, nothing works , I cannot drag the map around and the links do not work. So I thought it may be something to do with me not actually publishing them to my ISP which when I did, again nothing works within Firefox. I then tried viewing it within IE and all works except the + and - in the top left hand corner, having now worked out that Firefox is not doing something, does anyone know what it is so I can turn it on or is it Xara fault? because I am using My Preferred browser, it appears I am being forced to use IE....also if others in the big outside world come across my web site (which I hope they do) if they use Firefox like me the location map isn't going to work for them either.
    HELP please I think I'm loosing the will to live here.http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/s...smiley-cry.png

I am using Xara webdesign Premium 8.1.3
    Intel Quad core Q6600 2.4 GHz
    4GB RAM
    Windows 7 Ultimate - 32bit

Default Re: Google Map not displaying correctly in Firefox

Make sure the widget is brought to the front, select it and press CTRL+F

If that fails, post your Xara Web Designer file (*.web) and I (or someone) will take a look

Hi Sledger,
    Thanks, did what you said Ctrl +F, couldn't see any difference.
    Have attached my WHCC.web file

if you need to look at the whole site its - www.whcc.co.uk

thanks in advance

Steve Bishop
    Attached Files Attached Files

Steve, thanks for the web upload.
    On your map page, you seem to have a spurious, extra Placeholder underneath your main map for Streetmap:
    <iframe src="http://streetmap.co.uk/postcode/AL7_4JS" width="100%" height="100%" frameborder="0" scrolling="auto" name="xara_iframe" ><p>Your browser does not support iframes.</p></iframe>

The main Placeholder is:
    <iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=51.786214,-0.19505&amp;num=1&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=m&amp;z=14&amp ;ll=51.785551,-0.195136&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=51.786214,-0.19505&amp;num=1&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=m&amp;z=14&amp ;ll=51.785551,-0.195136&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

I would delete the Streemap one.

Acorn

Aside from Acorn's extra placeholder discovery Steve, you appear to be building your pages on the Page Background layer.?
    This (special) layer should remain locked and not contain your site page elements, this is what the mouseoff layer is for.
    Fix these errors and your map works well.

Hi Acorm and Sledger,
    Thanks for that, I did see some HTML in a box somewhere Will try and find it again and delete it.

As for the layers, still struggling to understand what they do, I think it how you can have two items that look as though they are on the same page but infact one is in front of the other, I can understand why that should be for graphics etc to be able to blend different subjects together....I do not get the mouse on click stuff.
    Is there any manual/video on what this all is and how to use it, or am I supposed to know before hand, or is it a case a play with it until I get it right.
    I have obviously done it wrong - thanks for the advice - but when I am doing something without knowing why I should or should not do it is a bit frustrating.
    I am self taught so far - FrontPage only, and a few books on HTML. So when I found Xara I thought I could handle it...making this type of mistake is not good unless you know you have made it!!!!!

Thanks again

Steve Bishop

It's all in the Help file Steve (the F1 key)

For webpage purposes, the mouseoff layer is for all content which shows on the page by default, images, text and links.
    The mouseover layer shows effects to text, rollover buttons and navbars when the mouse cursor passes over them.

Any other layer you might create in your web document are generally for popup purposes (eg: popup on click or popup on mouseover).
    Other than this, there is no need to create new layers for static page content.

The Page background and pasteboard are special layers (as mentioned in the Help file), they will only appear if you drag a colour to them or add a page background image, it is why they are locked by default and in blue.

Hi Sledger,
    Thanks for all the help.....when you know where you've gone wrong everything works ok......

I know the help button contains information about stuff, but other than that is there nothing I can read up on so as I can get my head around working out what should go on each layer etc, or is it blind faith that I am putting things on the correct layer?
    I found I could drag each element into the correct layer, cool.
    I know you and probably allot of people out there know exactly what they are doing, I didn't and got stuff on the wrong layer......
    So just to be sure here if a I add anything to the web site it has to go on the Mouse off layer ? Text Photos etc.
    I have been able to add a Button here and there and use the transparency tool effect on it, I assume when I do that it all happens on the correct layer?
    Once again thanks for your help - I may be back on another subject sometime soon.

Best wishes

Steve Bishop

Hi Sledger,
    I knew I would be back.....

I want to resize the map on the page, but every time I drag the place holder corners to make it larger that always jump back to the original square size, is there a way of getting the size of the map just a bit bigger, - I saw the padlock on the nav bar at the top of the screen against the scale, on mine its depressed if I click it am I unlocking it or locking it?

Thanks in advance,

Steve Bishop

Google map size is controlled by the widget HTML source (found in the placeholder>>HTML code (body) )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapsize.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	95116

If you change (then Apply) those values to width="100%" height="100%" you will be able to drag-resize your map to any size and have is re-render accordingly..