Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default 'Next Frame' 'Previous Frame' Shortcuts???

Hello, apologies if this has come up before.

I'm currently using Xara Designer Pro 6.1, and its Great, does everything I need.

I'd just love to know if there's a way of creating shortcut keys for 'select next frame' and 'Select Previous frame' functions for animating, I find this an essential tool for animating.

Alternatively, is there a Script or another solution?

Lastly, does a later version of Xara Designer overcome this problem?

Many thanks!!
    Pegbert

Default Re: 'Next Frame' 'Previous Frame' Shortcuts???

Hello Pegbert, welcome to TalkGraphics.

When you are working with animations there is a new infobar added at the interface that has Select Next and Select Previous Frame buttons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frame-select.png 
Views:	413 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	93011  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks, Soquili.
    I know about those, what I'm after is a way of Creating a Keyboard Shortcut for them ?
    Sorry if I didn't explain properly.

I checked the Customize Key Shortcuts feature but it does not offer anything for Next or Previous Frame.

I use the Frame Gallery and simply click the frame I'm interested in.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Sure, I know you can do that, but when I'm creating animations in 3D Max, Pro Motion, any other package I animate in, I always rely on shortcut keys.
    Hey Ho.

You can post a request for Next & Previous Frame shortcuts in the Dear Xara forum : http://www.talkgraphics.com/forumdis...p?56-Dear-Xara
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Ok, thanks, so are there 3rd party developed scripts for Xara products, that there's a possibility could solve this?

Hi pegbert

This isn't a solution (just an alternative idea), but you could try creating a medium sized rectangle (or other simple object) near to your animation objects. When selecting this rectangle Ctrl+Shift+D or U will move it backwards or forwards a frame. Effectively selecting prev/next frame using a keyboard shortcut (I'm using an older version of Xara so the actual keys used might be different for yours).

Obviously the downside is that you still need to click/select the rectangle to move it, meaning a click and keyboard combo (as opposed to just a click on the prev/next frame arrow keys or frame gallery select). Although, you can also select the rectangle using either the Home and End keys ... this isn't ideal if you are moving the top and bottom stacking order of other objects in between moving the rectangle.

The only way this might be a bit easier, maybe, is that the rectangle would be nearer to your animated objects and larger to click on than the prev/next arrows, or no need to leave the frame gallery open for navigation ... if that is an issue.

Alternatively: you could store the rectangle, or indeed any copied object/s, in the clipboard and paste (Ctrl+V) then move, then cut (Ctrl+X) as you go. But unless you really prefer keyboard shortcuts to clicking arrows etc (and can perhaps customise the Ctrl+Shift one to just Ctrl + something - ie hold down Ctrl hit V, then say Q to move, then X to cut), then this looks like it would be a bit of a fiddly option.

Not sure if any of this would work for you or not, but it might be worth having an experiment with.

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Su Lawrence, you're a genius!
    Thank you, while not being ideal, that's a whole hell of a lot better!!!

As an animator, flicking through your animation to see the motion you're creating is crucial.
    Can't believe they've got a button for this, but not next frame.
    But anyway, Thank you so much!!!