Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Is there free web space?

Is there such a thing as free web space?
    Where someone can upload pages with photographs and articles.

What are the downsides, if such a thing exists?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Default Re: Is there free web space?

I believe that Magix offers free web space to Xara users though I am not sure how this works. I know you have to create an account which is no big deal.

And you can find web hosts who offer very inexpensive web hosting, though the downside to that is they may not always have the best or most secure equipment. And there are probably web hosts somewhere in the middle who offer low price web hosting and have good equipment.

Do a Google search for something like, the best low cost web hosting companies in the UK or some such. There are quite a few sites that rate the different web hosting companies.

Thanks for that, Gary.
    Yes. I did do a search, but, I thought it was worth asking the TG Xperts and getting their opinions and advice.

A friend was asking about it.
    He wants something that his daughter can use. But, neither of them know anything about web design etc...
    Anything I've found, that would suit their purpose, does have a cost attached.
    I don't think they will get what they want, for free. Or a very low cost.
    Like you said. Anything worthwhile, will cost a bit.

I found simplesite.com
    This will do exactly what my friend's daughter is looking to do. But, you've got to pay for it.

Very often, your ISP will already provide free space and quite a few add-ons you can use as part of your package.

The drawback is usually that you can't install your own scripts, and that can be a bit of a problem.

Free space also tends to be quite slow and uptime isn't guaranteed to anything like the level it is on paid-for space.

I use 1&1 as my host, and their packages start from as little as £1.19 a month for the first year. I have no problems with uptime (occasional outages, but that happens everywhere).

I'm not saying they're the best, or that you should use them. But I have had no problems and host a number of sites through them.

Linux hosting

Windows hosting

DOAADI

I use 1&1 as my host, and their packages start from as little as £1.19 a month for the first year. I have no problems with uptime (occasional outages, but that happens everywhere).
    I just tried both links and I quit waiting after 10 seconds when the page still were not downloaded.

This reminds me of something that happened when I was in US Army basic training in 1967.

We were having a period of instruction on dental hygiene and had been given "disclosure" pills to chew. These tablets turned your teeth red in areas where there was plaque or bacteria on your teeth. If you brushed your teeth well, there would be very little or no red areas.

One of the recruits in the front row said to the dentist that he never brushed his teeth and his teeth were in perfect condition. He turned around grinning to face the rest of the company and his teeth were bright red.

That brings back memories, Gary. I was in grade school at the time, but, I remember those exact same pills. We had a class on dental hygiene and it included those red pills for all the students.
    Chris
    LotsMoreHosting.com

DOAADI, I'm with you on this one. Your links are loaded instantaneously by me. 1&1 are pretty reliable.

I think a buzzard or something probably jumped onto Gary's internet connection.. ;-)

I guess so - so you have to ask whose teeth are red after all

The two sites loaded but slowly. Then again I am not your market. So if the site is effective in the UK that's what really matters.

From free web space to red teeth. Interesting?!

Thanks for the links DOAADI.