Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Adobe Flash Player - How can I change the default settings

The new Adobe Flash player automatically plays sound when a Flash video appears. I have set the sound in the Speakers > Mixer to 0, but it automatically resets itself.

If I want to hear sound that should be my decision, not Adobe's.

Does anybody know how to change the settings so it does not automatically play?

Default Re: Adobe Flash Player - How can I change the default settings

I cheat. I have headphones plugged in and don't put them on unless I specifically want to hear something.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Gary

the flash plugin now has it's own slider in the system volume mixer - shown below for windows 7

you can either mute it or take down the volume or separately, and with firefox it appears to hold the setting when closing and opening the browser, but needs resetting if the computer is rebooted

[not tried this in any other browser, and it's possible your sound card/system may differ]

I right click on the speakers icon in the systray to get the mixer from menu - alternativly 'control panel /sounds/ adjust system volume' should take you there in win7

EDIT ADD: it won't hold the setting if you close down the browser completetly....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sysmix-flash mute.png 
Views:	269 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	92974  
    Last edited by handrawn; 10 November 2012 at 11:03 AM.

oh and technically, so I am told by my collegue as it's not my field, the descision as to whether the flash plays when you land is the website designers, not flash - personally I would like them all to only start when I say, never mind just the sound
    Last edited by handrawn; 10 November 2012 at 11:13 AM.

The problem with the slider Steve is that as soon as a Flash video starts up all by itself, the slider resets to the middle position. I use the speakers mixer slider quite a bit because I listen to Spotify so I need that to play, but I don't want system sounds, etc. They all behave and do what they're told except the Flash slider.

The advice I got from Adobe was to revert back one version. Which I have done. So we'll see.

ok Gary - lets hope the next version is more user friendly

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I do the same as Bill. I leave my headset plugged in and when I want to listen to something I put the headset on. It's also handy when I'm working on tutorial videos to have the headset right there plugged in and ready
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

looked further at this - the only thing I can think of is that maybe it's because I have Firefox set to disable plugins by default [I believe you can do this in chrome too]

once I have clicked to enabled a flash [on my home page] and set the flash volume control it does appear to hold for that browser session with any other pages I browse to that have flash plugins which I enable - not ideal, but workable if you use FireFox at least
    Last edited by handrawn; 11 November 2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: add 'which I enable'

Hi all, re the topic, right-click onto a Flash video, select settings, there are small icons at the bottom, the second one in is privacy, select deny for camera and microphones. cheers Derek

Hi all, I'm WRONG with my last reply, yes the flash designer should disable AUTO-PLAY, I thought the settings should solve the problem? I use Firefox web browser and unless I click onto a flash video it does'nt play? It must be the dark nights here Derek