Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Extra licence for client

Is it possible to buy an extra licence for a client to use to udate his web site.
    Like CMS but they have control of whole thing.
    I know CMS is not a good way to go with Xara but there must be an option within the program
    to allow us to buy an extra licence to get round the problem of a client wanting to update when he wants.
    Or any other good Ideas would be welcome.

Mike
    Life's too important to be serious
    Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz / 8 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    / Dual Monitor. / Windows 7 Home premium 64bit .

Default Re: Extra licence for client

You can also look forward to fixing their mistakes and helping them learn the software!

The only issue with this plan is when it goes wrong and the client needs help, loses the latest version of the file, or needs an update quickly and you don't have the current version of the site.

I'd see making the client pay the full price of the software as a good thing, because otherwise you are either losing a client, or becoming their tutor and support man, probably FOC.

Thanks for your views but i had already thought of all those things .
    But if the client wants to update thier own site we have to give them the option....its just Xara does not allow this.
    What I like to do is see solutions not problems ..... was hoping to get some sort of solution on here .
    Someone on here must use some sort of CMS with Xara.

Thanks anyway .
    Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz / 8 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Mike, you haven't used the search functions with CMS!

This topic has been discussed several times. This might help:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...cart-%28wip%29

Hi Mike,

Being practical....

1. if the client is going to need some software following a contract, we include the licence cost in the quote/contract price, with a clear indication of what responsibilities fall to them and what fall to us. The most important one I think is that they must update their own licences. If Xara moves on by two versions, and someone comes back to you for work on a site they have altered, you wouldn't want to give them back something they could no longer open.
    2. if a client insists on doing their own updates, you can mitigate the damage by signing them up to software training as part of the contract.
    3. you can mitigate some of the damage to a site's design by locking as many objects as possible before handing on the site. If you can lock sufficient objects, and leave text boxes editable, you end up with something that approaches a CMS. A safeguard would be that the client sends the new file to you for upload, just in case. (Lots of problems happen on the server, even if everything else has gone ok).
    4. ask the client about reasons for wanting control of the site. Often, all they want to update is a news page. You can include a separate blog quite easily, which would mean you still control the main web site and its design, and they can update to their heart's content - no pun intended. They might love that idea, but not know it is possible.

I am sure you have thought of these already, too, but just in case....

Best

Ali

PS version control. Version control, version control, version control. You have to agree on a method, or what pauland cautions about will happen very quickly.

At point 2 I meant updates... Just amended it.

Paul I did use the search ....I typed in CMS and it came up with nothing .

Think my troubles might be over .... I have talked to the client and what they wanted is to update the shop side which is the "ecwid" widget which i have used.
    So as that is not part of the site it looks like I'm ok ..... all i have to do is give them the username and password to the shop.
    The placeholder stays the same and I'm happy.

Thanks for all the replies and i guess i was just thinking ahead just in case .

Mike

How bizarre - I managed to search for CMS before I posted and now I'm getting nothing too..

Ha ha ha ....I'm pleased it did the same for you Paul.... thought i was going mad .... I tried a few times and had to wait 20 secs to do each search.... I know its been discussed before so I was amased it never showed up.

Anyway think i'm sorted now thanks.

Mike