Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default not bad for an amateur

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: not bad for an amateur

Not bad, and a really good beginning effort, but if I may give you a few pointers? I do this for a living. First a lot of the text is difficult to read. An advertisement needs to draw the viewer's attention and be easy for them to quickly read. The Photo collage is very busy and the little upside down guy detracts attention from the message of the ad. Think simple, use a font that is clean and easy to read and pick one element and make that the focus, I would use the glass of beer and maybe use transparency and the mould tool to make the bird drawing look as if it were actually painted or etched on the glass.

You are doing good keep practising A great resource if you haven't already discovered it is the Xara Xone The archives there contain 15 years worth of tutorials put together by Gary Priester and another year (ok nearly a year) of video and written tutorials put together by Gary Bouton the Xara Xone's current host.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Looks like you're having fun, Scaleback.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    Not bad, and a really good beginning effort, but if I may give you a few pointers? I do this for a living. First a lot of the text is difficult to read. An advertisement needs to draw the viewer's attention and be easy for them to quickly read. The Photo collage is very busy and the little upside down guy detracts attention from the message of the ad. Think simple, use a font that is clean and easy to read and pick one element and make that the focus, I would use the glass of beer and maybe use transparency and the mould tool to make the bird drawing look as if it were actually painted or etched on the glass.

You are doing good keep practising A great resource if you haven't already discovered it is the Xara Xone The archives there contain 15 years worth of tutorials put together by Gary Priester and another year (ok nearly a year) of video and written tutorials put together by Gary Bouton the Xara Xone's current host.
    I used a font caled Balieys Card and the backdrop was part of Manchester's City Centre and I got some free candy and some pens while I was out that day. Thanks for the compliment.

Fun? FUN??? PGD7s GREAT!!!
    I've never been able to warp text out of shape or eved do 3d metallic text.
    I only got into (my level) through playing about with text art and IF you get a chance, I very strongly reccomend 3D POWERTEXT (It won't run on my laptop but I can't complain about the free fonts that were included on the disk).
    Anyway, check these out:-
    www.1001fonts.com
    WWW.URBANFONTS.COM
    WWW.DAFONT.COM
    If you need them you can find some fonts that'd be good for doing ancient texts and languages if you're into fantasy fiction;want to try locecraftian fiction and you might even find ancient egyptian Heiroglyphs.