Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How many of you are using an Apple pc or laptop?

Just wanted to ask because im thinking to make the change from windows to mac. Tell me your stories :P

Default Re: How many of you are using an Apple pc or laptop?

I've recently swapped from a PC laptop to a MacBook. Really delighted with it. The only software that I use that doesn't run natively on the Mac is from Xara.

At some stage I will probably install parallels and windows and then be able to run Xara software again.

Most of the software I use is from Adobe, open-source, or Apple.

The Mac is a joy to use, but it takes a bit of time to get familiar with things if you've only been used to windows machines. At one stage I had a 17" Dell laptop and a 13" MacBook, but for me the smaller screen and resolution was an issue, so I rarely used the Mac. My 15" MacBook has a higher resolution screen than the Dell and I love it.

It's fair to say that in terms of raw computing power for your money, Macs are more expensive. Mine was a really great buy from Ebay - I got lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca1088 View Post
    Just wanted to ask because im thinking to make the change from windows to mac. Tell me your stories :P
    Just bought a new laptop. Always wondered about macs, but have rejected because I dislike my iPhone and iPad. So I have bought my third Sony Vaio. In between I've had HP, Samsung and Acer. Find Sony to be best all-round - never the highest spec for the money, but nice components, non-bendy screens, and your client can see everything fom the side.

Good luck.

A

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

My husband and I replaced an older computer a few months ago with a new HP laptop with Windows 7 and I am quite pleased with it. When we were shopping for the new computer we compared Windows and Apple machines and at least here the Macs were way more expensive and then there was the added hassle of having to install extra software to run Xara. So for us the Windows HP system that we purchased was perfect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I have a MacBook Pro 13" - 2.8GHz Intel Core i7, 8Gb RAM, 750Gb Hard Drive.

By no means am I dissatisfied with what I have. It's a pretty powerful bit of kit.
    But, if you are used to using Windows PCs / Laptops, then stick with it. There are plenty of choices out there.

I had the luxury of being able to get a MacBook, and decided to get one.

Some things you may not like:
    There is no 'Delete' key, no 'Page Up' and Page' Down' keys, no 'Home' key, etc... etc... etc...
    Not the end of the world, but they do come in handy in certain programmes.
    I like the 'CTRL' key to be extreme bottom left. It's not. The 'fn' key is there.
    If you buy the full external keyboard, then the 'fn' key and the 'ctrl' keys are swapped. That's not consistent.

If you close the lid of a MacBook, then there is absolutely no choice but for the Laptop to go into standby.
    There is no choice for you to say that you simply want the screen to go off, and not for the Laptop to go into standby.
    It's the Mac way, or no way.

The MacBook screen still has the same problem where the top of the screen is slightly brighter than the bottom part.
    That's the same as any other Laptop I've seen.
    However, a desktop Mac and a proper screen would obviously be different. But then so is any other IBM type PC.

Whilst I can't give you results of any laboratory test, I think the build quality, the aluminium chassis of the MacBook is pretty good.
    I am not disappointed with what I have, but would I buy another MacBook in the future?!

There are supposed not to be any viruses on Macs.
    Luckily, I've not had any yet, but, then why do they advertise anti-virus software for Macs?!
    Should Apple not be saying don't bother buying any anti-virus software?

Would I buy their new hardware with the Retina display on a Laptop? Probably never.
    I need a Laptop with a DVD drive and hopefully a Blu-ray drive. These Laptop with the retina display do not have any sort of drive.
    Again, it's the Mac way, or no way. They want you to work the way they think you should work.

Macs have the same problems when they release new OS, just as Windows does.
    I upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion.
    Some previous programmes do not work with the new OS. As I found out!

Then, you will need to purchase Parallels or VMWare, to be able to then install Windows.
    I had to, becauuse, Xara only works on Windows.

One good thing I've experienced is that if you go into an Apple store, then they will be more than happy to help you.

I'm not suggesting that there are not solutions to things like the missing keys.
    These are just my views and feelings.

So, if you want to delete something on a MacBook, it's 'fn'+'backspace'.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

There are supposed not to be any viruses on Macs
    never the case Rik

hardly any, because it was not worth the effort of writing them - but that is changing, hence the need for av software

a couple of links for you:

http://www.technewsdaily.com/6679-fi...ng-truths.html

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/new-m...ecosystem/4726

lots more around if you google...

That's why I said 'supposed' not to be, Steve.

But, thanks very much indeed, for those links. Very interesting reading.
    On balance, it would seem that a PC with decent anti-virus software may actually be more secure.
    Though we all know that nothing is absolutely safe.
    Some of us know that from experience!

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

I personally think that there are very few arguable reasons (if any) for choosing a mac over a pc but that's just me and we have lots of macs at work, all the designers have g5s and also personal macbook pros but I dislike having to spend so much money for effectively a badge (and believe me when it came to signing the cheque for all our macs at the office I was not a happy man, but that is what designers use). But I will not go into the apple vs the world thing on here.

Buy whatever you want to they all pretty much do the same thing. And remember it's the designer not the tools.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk