Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Nav bar with each button different.... Breathe...breathe...

Hello experts,

Can I just ask a few questions before I have to do a complex custom nav bar for real.......?

I want to make a nav bar with each button different, and having both a mouse over and mouse down state. (I would like to have a mouse over for the mouse down, too, but can't think how to do that. Gary p will remember it as a fourth button state in NOF).

I have had no problems making ordinary custom nav bars. But I am getting unexpected results trying to do this, so I know I m approaching it the wrong way. Does each button have to be its own nav bar, as it were? Or should I make a plain nav bar and substitute the real graphics afterwards? Also can I ask, should several objects be made joined in some way first?. I am getting unexpected results if i start with a button that is already a group.

Finally, can a bitmap/s be the foundation of a nav bar button? I don't think so, but am so befuddled with other variables I might be wrong.

Although there are basic tuts on custom nav bars there isn't anything that goes into the kind of detail I would really appreciate. I am pretty sure it is possible to do what I want as Xara can do anything.

Thanks in advance.

Ali

Default Re: Nav bar with each button different.... Breathe...breathe...

Hi Ali - MouseDown a third button state and to create this is simple. Create a new layer that is above MouseOver and call it MouseDown. MouseDown will be the state that identifies the page and that appears briefly when you click a button.

To accomplish what you want is also simple. Don't create a traditional nav bar. Create individual buttons. You can arrange them any way you want. I've done this on my personal site www.gwpriester.com except the buttons look like a normal nav bar but the colors are different. And each button has a mouse down state.

But your buttons could all be different shapes. There is no restriction for what you can do. Think outside the nav bar.

You can use bitmaps for buttons. But if you want to make a Nav bar, then the text must be grouped with the bitmap.

But you can use bitmaps for individual buttons, as I outlined in my previous posts. In which case, as long as the buttons have two states, and are linked, will work as buttons. See attached. If you get a warning that the file was created with a newer version, just open the file and everything will work fine.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gary, you are a superstar. I will go at it again tomorrow. Can't thank you enough.

Ali

My pleasure.