Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Cannot remove large MP3 from web page

The program has worked this way for many versions.
    The one thing I failed to mention is the 'support folder' (it's been a while since this topic came up again)
    You must remove the MP3 from this folder.

Example;
    If you save your web designer file as mysite.web then the program will create a folder named mywebsite_web_files
    This is the store for the assets used for your site and which is drawn from when published.
    If you open this folder (it will be in the same location your save the mysite.web to) and remove the *.MP3, it will not longer be published and the problem is solved.

Ah! I had assumed that mysite.web was some form of archive format that held all of the artifacts for a particular website. But it seems that it is the combination of mywebsite.web and mywebsite_web_files.

As a test I copied mywebsite.web to mywebsite_test.web, then open with with Xara, and exported the website. The MP3 player still appears on the web page but it no longer works as the underlying MP3 has been lost as it isn't part of the mywebsite_test.web file.

I'd still argue that this is a fault. As the website is a combination of the mywebsite.web and mywebsite_web_files then when I delete an artifact it shouldn't linger in either. But I note that the Web Designer MX Premium manual explicitly documents this behaviour (RTFM!!) so there may be an underlying reason for preserving these unused artifacts. I can't see it though.

Thanks to all for taking the time to guide me through this. I have found the method I need to eliminate my lingering, large, unused MP3 file.

Paul

PS. The manual also refers to XAR files rather than WEB files.

xar is the file extension for Designer documents, web is the file extension for Web Designer doucments. They are interchangeable.