Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cannot remove large MP3 from web page

I created a new blank page, then added a large MP3, exported the page, then I removed the MP3. This leaves a web page with no objects. Yet if I export this empty page the large MP3 and various other objects are still exported into the index_htm_files folder.

This is a problem as this has happened on one of my live web pages. The large MP3 persists as an object even though it is no longer used, and the object persists even if I delete the page that originally hosted it. This means the large objects are included in the FTP uploads, thus slowing these down, and consuming server space unnecessarily.

Is there any way I can permanently delete the MP3? Also is there a way to get a cross reference of objects included in a website? This would help to track down rogue objects.

Thanks, Paul

Default Re: Cannot remove large MP3 from web page

It sounds as if the MP3 may still be in your browsers cache. Refresh the page or do a forced refresh Ctrl + F5 and see it this help.

I was going to suggest naming your objects, but MX does not have a Name Gallery so this would not do any good.

Having reread my first post I wasn't quite clear. What I should have said was:

Using Xara MX I created a new blank page, then using Xara MX, I added a large MP3 to the page, then using Xara MX I exported the page, then using Xara MX I removed the MP3. This leaves a web page with no objects in Xara MX. Yet if I export this empty web page, using Xara MX, to an emptry target directory, the large MP3 and various other objects are still exported into the index_htm_files folder.

This isn't a cache issue. When I export the web page to a target directory I examine the target directories to view the files. Even though the MP3 files do not appear in the Xara MX list of objects for the page the MP3 is still being exported. It seems that after the removal of the MP3 from the page in Xara MX the MP3 still remains on the list of objects that are exported to the target directories.

This sounds suspiciously like a bug in Xara MX, unless I missing something.

What happens if you delete all the files from the server then republish the empty page.

I think what you are seeing is files left over from a previous publish. In this case your MP3 file.

What I'm doing is publishing to a test NAS server on my network. First I publish, then examine the directory contents on the NAS box using Windows Explorer. Then I delete the MP3 object in Xara and also the files on the NAS server and republish. The MP3 is republished to the NAS directory even though it is no longer visible in the Xara web page.

This approach eliminates the cache as I'm not using any web server to confirm what has been published. Hence my growing conclusion that this is a Xara issue.

OK, unless someone else has a suggestion you might post this problem in the Dear Xara forum which is for bugs and feature suggestions for future versions.

After removing the MP3 from your page, you must remove the MP3 file from your index_htm_files folder before republishing.

That was my thought too sledger

What happens if you delete all the files from the server then republish the empty page.

I think what you are seeing is files left over from a previous publish. In this case your MP3 file.

Thanks for your advice. But this sequence is convincing:

1. Create new web page using Xara Web Designer MX Premium
    2. On page "index" drag MP3 file
    3. Export web page to local directory
    4. Inspect index_htm_files directory. MP3 file exists
    5. Delete all files in index_htm_files directory
    6. Delete MP3 object from Xara web page
    7. Save Xara web page. Close and restart Xara
    8. Now we have Xara web page with no objects and target directory with no files
    9. Export blank web page "index".
    10. index_htm_files contains MP3 file and various Magix player J files

This is conclusive. I will escalate this to Xara