Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Using the 3D tool on part of an image.

I like the 3D Tool but is it possible to use the 3D tool to raise the nontransparent part of an imported image while leaving the transparent part flat?

Jason

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Using the 3D tool on part of an image.

Hi BlueFire, Welcome to Talkgraphics! As far as I'm aware of, there is no way to do this directly but there are lots of ways to accomplish different things with the 3D tool. For example if you need to extrude a ring shape create an ellipse and give it an outliine and no fill then Arrange> convert line to shape will give you a shape with no middle that you can extrude.

If you can give us an example of what you are trying to extrude I'm sure we can give you some ways to do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Hi,
    I am assuming that the piece you are trying to extrude is a bitmap image...not a vector. Bitmap images don't act the same with the extrude tool in a vector drawing.
    As Frances says there are different ways to accomplish what you want depending how complex the bitmap image is.
    JIm
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Cut your bitmap out then apply 3D.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	extrude_bitmap.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	93275