Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Slider Integration

Hi,

Because my brain is small I had a question about Jquery and related integration.

http://diehlgroup.com/

I like this site and wanted to use a combination of some jquery code to slide the pages I create in WD.

Can this be done?

Thanks in advance.

EZ

Default Re: Slider Integration

Your brain cannot be any smaller than mine.

WD MX (the newest version) has resizable sliders.

You can also use a slide show creation program such as Visual Slide Show to create this effect. Visual Slide Show is non-Flash based so it works in all browsers and all mobile devices.

If you decide to go this route, there are a few tricks for getting the slide show onto your site. Basically, you publish the slide show to a folder on your desktop or in Windows Explorer. This creates an index.html file and two folders, one for the photos, and one for the slide show mini-application. You copy the two folders to the root directory of your website, and you create a placeholder for the slide show, and then copy the body section of the index.html file into the body section of the placeholder, and copy the head portion of the index.html file to the head section of the placeholder.

I noted you technique for including slide shows into a website with interest. In my case I created a Presentation using WD MX Premium to make a slider effect. I included this into my website using the following IFRAME code into the HTML code (body) for the placeholder:

<iframe src="Presentation/Slide1.htm" width="100%" height="100%" frameborder="0" scrolling="No" name="xara_iframe" ><p>Your browser does not support iframes.</p></iframe>

This works quite well, and each slide has a "Next" button which allows me to step through each slide in sequence, and each slide appears like a slide show slider. But a side effect of this is that the Frame Redirect that I use with my ISP host causes the Next buttons to be disabled when using IE9 and Firefox 16; the Next buttons work OK with Chrome. Xara support advises that "the domain the website is being served from and the URL domain of the page being referenced were not the same". Put more simply, I reference www.mywebsite.com, this uses Frame Redirect to www.mywebsiteonISP.com, and the latter hosts the website and IFRAME subdirectory. Using Frame Redirect causes www.mywebsite.com to be displayed as the URL address for all pages, hence cloaking www.mywebsiteonISP.com.

In an attempt to recreate your technique I copied the Presentation pages (three HTM files and a folder) to the root directory of the website, and copied the <head> and <Body> code for the Slide1.htm to the placeholder as you describe. This causes the placeholder to display the first slide correctly but the Next button is disabled for all browsers.

This is close to an elegant solution, but not quite close enough. Any ideas on what is not quite right?

Thanks, Paul

And I thought Visual Slide Show required a bit of tweaking.

If it works, then that's all that matters.

But that it were so. The IFRAME solution works, but disables the ability to use Frame Redirect.

Using your tweaking method to insert a WD MX presentation removes the IFRAME hence should allow Frame Redirect but it disables the Next/Previous buttons in the presentation.

Hence my comment "close to an elegant solution, but not quite close enough." The call for help is "how to insert WD MX presentations into websites without using IFRAME and enabling viewers to page forwards/backwards through the presentation?" If this could be achieved then it opens up a whole host of slider-type capability using presentations.

OK. Maybe you're making this harder than it needs to be.

Open the attached .web file and preview it. This is the Nivo Slider (Designs Gallery > Page Elements > Photos > Photo Slideshow Widgets)

I removed the captions.

You can make the slider unit as large as you want. And it plays automatically.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gwpriester; 26 October 2012 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks for all the posts everyone. I will take a look. Just to confirm, the .web file will only work properly with the latest version?

Pulled the file up in old version and looks good. I will log in to my main machine with the latest version. I apologize but did an earlier post show how with the links can slide pages up and down? Not sure if I articulated that in the previous post. This .web looks great!

Thanks again for everyone's time.

EZ

Yeah, the thing EZ is I believe the Nivo slider is only resizable in MX. Stever Ledger has another alternative on the Xara Users website http://xara-users.info/demos/fadein-slideshow/index.htm where you can basically create your own non-Flash slide show. It's worth a look and if you love it or have any questions, please use the www.Xara-User.info forums.

Great. I will check that out later. Again, many thanks.