Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default my portfolio site is hopeless on mobile devices

My portfolio site http://www.cristofa.co.uk is hopeless on mobile devices.

I look forward to the day when Xara automatically converts a site for small screen viewing but, in the meantime, what can I do to improve mobile access?

Oh, and some feedback on the site would be appreciated

Christopher

Default Re: my portfolio site is hopeless on mobile devices

OK. Even on my desktop, there is too little contrast of the menu text. But the site seems a nice design on both my desktop and Android phone.

So a couple things. One, make the non-active menu choices a lighter color. Make the active menu selection show it is the active menu selection. Well, and one more thing. Perhaps consider the Portfolio panel a tad lighter color yet. It would make it stand out a little better.

Take care, Mike

The smart thing to do is to create a mobile version of your site. This is more than reducing the size of your content. You need to design a sight for a smaller screen size.

You have a very good site for most larger computer screens. Now take the time to translate your site downward.

And remember that if your site is truly mobile (and this means, no WiFi) then you need fewer images. So use your design skills to simplify your content and reduce it to a rich reduction of the essence of your design.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    The smart thing to do is to create a mobile version of your site. This is more than reducing the size of your content. You need to design a sight for a smaller screen size.

You have a very good site for most larger computer screens. Now take the time to translate your site downward.

And remember that if your site is truly mobile (and this means, no WiFi) then you need fewer images. So use your design skills to simplify your content and reduce it to a rich reduction of the essence of your design.
    ... thanks for your constructive comments.

I see the point of making a dedicated mobile site, but don't know how to make it so that a browser will distinguish between the 2 versions? Or where I would put it on the server?

I also see the point of cutting the site's required bandwidth for the mobile version but, given that it is by its nature mostly visual and image intensive, that will be quite a challenge.

Christopher

I often raise things that others don't and I have a specific bugbear about your portfolio site - it has no focus.

I can see that you are a talented guy, worked on great projects, etc. When I browse the site I see some great projects and also stuff about photography, then almost casually there is a bit that invites me to get in contact if I want to engage your services.

My point is this - it's almost like browsing a personal site, not a professional one. On a professional site I expect the home page to tell me exactly what you do, what services you offer and how you can help me. When I look at the projects, I expect to be told exactly what you did - while the end result is important, it's your role and services I want to hear about - not to be told there's a barn conversion, or to see the kitchen - I want to know exactly what role you played in making that happen. For all I know, you sent a brief to an architect and they engaged servicemen and designers to do the actual work.

So, basically I think the site should be more about you, specifically, and what services you offer - not just pictures with minimal legends, of the finished product.

I'd also say that the site works badly on my iPad - the click through links ">>" don't behave well.

I hope that my criticism is seen as constructive, because that's the spirit in which I make it. Feel free to ignore, or disagree with my comments - others often do!

You seem to have achieved a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I hope that my criticism is seen as constructive, because that's the spirit in which I make it. Feel free to ignore, or disagree with my comments - others often do!
    ... thank you Paul, I do see your criticism as constructive and it gives me plenty of food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    You seem to have achieved a lot.
    ... it's an illusion - I have some talents, but am incapable of converting them into income

Christopher