Hi everyone, and thanks for all the help.

I got a workable version out using mike's input above.

Just thought I would come and post some feedback as yesterday was too hectic:
@gwpriester: Thanks, but I don't have Acrobat
@PeteS: I did try the file received from support, however this had a different problem when I exported to PDF, in that it created a rectangular background in black around all of the images and the export seemed to make all the fonts fuzzy... Not sure what I did differently, but later on tried it again and it was fine (but by that time I had gone too far down the other road). The other problem with this was that it only gave me a copy of the original (i.e. my content changes not in yet) and that in itself was quite a lot of work because of the way the text was structured in the original. Does seem odd that the export to PDF exhibits this behaviour when exporting in 300dpi, but not in draft quality, but glad to note that a bug was logged too.
@Mike: Your modified version pushed it through. Although the modified file you gave me helped, it wasn't quite 100% as the other two photographs still had issues (i.e. going negative when exporting to PDF). Also, as noted in my comment to Pete above, this was still the original and by the time I got this, I had spent quite a lot of time changing and rearranging text, so the procedure to fix it turned out to be much more valuable than the file itself. This gave me the clue I needed and I was able to follow a similar procedure to get it done (minus the luxury of the Acrobat).

Thanks everyone for the input.