Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Wire diagram assistance please

I am using the 3D tool in X7 Web Design and trying to create a "sliced open" 3D diagram of a co-axial cable. I need this to be as individual layers because it will be animated in an instructional video. I can create the copper wire, the surrounding white insulator of the wire (both basic cylinders) and the jacket cover ( a "C" shape that is extruded) done in 3D and it looks great. I'm having trouble getting two additional layers created to match the 3D style. One layer is a thin foil and the other is a very thin braided wire layer. I thought I could duplicate the "C" shape and add texture or a bitmap image to the extruded side, but I can't figure out how to do that. If this isn't possible to do in Web Design, if I purchase the 3D maker would I be able to do it there? I have a bunch of various wire diagrams for instructional videos that I have to put together. LOVE how Xara makes this look, just hope I can get the additional layers created and included.

This shows the foil and braided cable layers that I need to create.
    http://electrical-systems-lighting.k...-cable-line-2/

My diagram looks very close to this one. (except I'm wanting to keep the design sliced open, so you can see inside) I just need to add the foil and braided cable layers to finish it.
    http://www.electronics-lab.com/blog/?tag=uhf

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pattie

Default Re: Wire diagram assistance please

I doubt if Xara 3D Maker can do what you want by itself. Creating the braided cable is in my opinion the stumbling block for Xara 3D Maker to create, for that I think you would need something like Xara Photo and Graphic Designer or Xar Designer Pro.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Larry is correct. You will need either Xara Designer Pro or Xara Photo & Graphic Designer to accomplish what you desire to create.

Textures cannot be applied to the extruded sides of a shape in Xara 3D Maker 7 nor in Designer Pro nor Photo & Graphic Designer using the Extrude Tool. You will need to "fake it" by creating a shape to match the area where you will need a texture on the sides of a Designer Pro or Photo & Graphic Designer Extruded shape.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks for the quick response. I wondered if that was the situation since I couldn't find anything in my tutorial searches to address this, but thought I would ask the pros. Thank you for your time.

Regards,
    Pattie

Always very happy to help Pattie. If you have any more question do not hesitate to ask.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update