Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Newbie here, having trouble applying a Negative Live Effect on a masked area.

So I'm trying to apply a negative effect to a(n) (un)masked area. It keeps applying it to the entire image.

I don't have this problem with other effects, just with chromatic abberation and negative. What's the deal? Can you only apply these effects to the whole image?

(I'm using Xara Designer Pro 7)

Default Re: Newbie here, having trouble applying a Negative Live Effect on a masked area.

I think you are correct.

However, try this. Make a clone duplicate (Ctrl k). Place your mask shape, but not an actual mask, over the duplicate photo, and Arrange > Combine Shapes > Intersect Shapes. Apply your effect to this intersected shape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	positive-negative.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	92682  

Default Re: Newbie here, having trouble applying a Negative Live Effect on a masked area.

Good solution, solved it. Thanks! Didn't end up using it, however. What do you think of the end result? It's my first attempt at graphic design, so if you have any advice I would welcome it!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arsonist Poster navy blue.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	92683

Looks good to me. But as a graphic designer, my criticism is the two elements are of equal importance. I would make the logo bigger and the text smaller so that the logo dominates the graphic and the text becomes the second read.