Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Perspective Drawing

If anyone as a perspective question, the best answer you will get, complete with diagram, is from Gary Bouton, Xara Xone, there is also perspective tuts. in the Xone, the best place to learn for all your graphic needs

er.. this is Graphics Chat - you know, the non-xara forum.... since when did GB do none-xara tuts on xara xone? - he does know a lot about perpective though

I have produced a perspective drawing that I hope will show the area of accuracy by showing the importance of the Cone of Vision. I have used the angle for 3 point perspective (60 degrees) but for 2 point perspective you should use 30 degree for your area of accuracy because the subject is smaller. Notice how image A is distorted if you are too close to the subject.

When setting up your perspective view you can determine this angle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cone_of_vision.jpg 
Views:	599 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	93216

This reinforces what I posted months ago.

Name:	cone.jpg 
Views:	636 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	93233

EDIT; Anything outside the 30deg cone will be distorted, possibly the closer to the boundaries of this cone will too, it's just not apparent.
    Last edited by wizard509; 26 November 2012 at 07:14 PM.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

It is correct to say everything outside the 30deg cone will be distorted but only if you are drawing an object that is small. The object would have to be anything from a cell phone to a suitcase. We must remember the 30deg Cone of Vision is only for small objects.

I don't know about that. Did you see my example drawings posted earlier on? Those were not small objects. I drew entire cityscapes, buildings, apartment complexes, or rooms, all larger than a suitcase. It's just a matter of knowing what you are doing.

There are many methods of doing perspective, charts, setting a scale on a site plan and photographing. and, those like me who projected.

While we are at it, did you know that the object does not need to touch the picture plane, but projected onto it? Therefore the final size of your drawing is dependent on the size of the object projected onto the PP.

Yes it is true that there is some distortion when drawing any object, and that is inherent, but staying in the 30deg cone of vision keeps that to a minimum. One can with a little knowledge cheat and show somethiing not in that cone, but it must be done with care.

I have known delineators that would purposely put objects out of place because they just wanted to see something that would not show from the view taken, and it looked it too. That is where my little tool excels, and that was based on the 30/60 triangle method I used for many years, to analyze the view so I knew what would show and what would not, and, adjust the view accordingly to make sure something stupid didn't happen, such as looking though an opening and down a hall and out another opening or door. I had my own way of doing things and how best to show what I wanted to feature and that stood the test of time.

As far as the 30deg cone only for small objects, I would love to see you prove me wrong, with examples. I posted some of mine, where are yours.
    Last edited by wizard509; 08 December 2012 at 02:51 AM.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

You said you have posted ‘some of yours’ I can only see the ‘one’ below my illustration.

The Illustration I used is all I need to show and I will explain why!

Look at the Illustration again and you will see that I have shown in “B” that you are looking at a wide and therefore a large subject, you need to open the Cone of Vision to ‘see’ the whole subject. You need to stand back and use your 60deg view to see it without distortion, such as a landscape view or a building.

In example “A”, if you are only doing one or two of the subjects you can stand at “A” and use a 30deg angle (Cone of Vision) and create the two subjects without distortion because you are close to the subject.

Think about it!
    Look at your cell phone in your hand and you will see your ‘focus of attention’ is limited. Now go outside and look at the whole of your house or building, your ‘focus of attention’ opens out for you to see the whole building.

The important point here is what the eye needs to see it opens or narrows to suit the subject, which is what perspective is all about!

Here is the basic perspective set-up you use to create your perspective view, before you get to this point you would have created the correct view needed to give you the correct Cone of Vision. I can create as many views as you wish but as an artist, knowing the technical stuff is of vast important to the artist. When you know perspective you need not do the technical stuff, it comes natural. And yes, you can place the subject as far back from the Picture Plane as you wish, distortion will not show. But in front of the Picture Plane and you start to get distortion. You need to know and understand perspective to know just where to place it.

Name:	front_03.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	93461

Could you post something larger please? That's barely legible (PNG would be better for this type of graphic as it doesn't suffer from JPEG compression distortions)

Thanks

Your image can be up to 800 pixels wide.