Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Perspective Drawing

Here's an example I was expecting to see from the phantom perspective person http://ariches.edu.glogster.com/3-point-buildings/

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Yes, Larry, thanks. But I am waiting to hear what Perspective has to say. Your two photographic examples are really more appropriate for two point perspective, and for that type of perspective there is also an area of accuracy in the middle before things start to distort.
    Yes indeed Gary they are 2 point perspectives, as was most of what I did. There is a cone of vision that if you stay in there is minimal to no apparent distortion. I posted a tool to show that, and selecting the view as well as now to feature, in other words what you feel you are looking at. Admittedly those were all hand done and that seems to be the what I understand. When it comes to computer perspective drawing I am more or less at a loss.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Used to have to teach this in Graphic Communication in schools in Scotland and it is all about "measured perspective" so if you want more info do a google search on subject. Have placed a PP presentation in a which gives a minimal explanation of what to do but it is very simple. Sorry file was too large will try and make it smaller, did it as PDF.

The place where I go to for reference on this subject and it has been referred to so many times is here: http://www.automotiveillustrations.c...rspective.html
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Design is thinking made visual.

That's pretty cool Pete, and the PDF works fine.

Anybody interested in the basics of perspective should check this out.

Hi gwpriester, to determine the area of accuracy of any perspective be it 2 or 3 point perspective you are talking about the Cone of Vision. This can only be achieved by being the correct distance from the subject. When it comes to 3 point it means you are actually drawing something that is over 6 feet in size to make it worthwhile using 3 points.

The technical aspect of this is too longwinded to explain here but the distance from the object is what you are aiming for. The main reason for your concern is to eliminate distortion. And thank you Soquili, you were right, you guys are great. And gwpriester, I am still here if you need to go further.

The reason I am new to this forum is because I have just installed Claroline and I am not sure if I can ask for help here. The problem is when I test with a student login all my images are missing and the right frame inside the course is not working correctly, it repeats the heading information in that frame also, what could be wrong. Yet in Admin mode it all works fine. I have searched the forum and cannot find an answer.

Hi gwpriester, the video in your first post link shows a guy creating 3 buildings using the third vinishing point, it's wrong. You cannot have 3 diffrent vanishing points at the top without changing the 2 vanishing points on the horizonal line. you will note that the buildings look distorted from each other.

The reason for this is the vanashing points on the horzon line are always 90 degrees to each other and this also determine the viewer's line of sight. If the vanashing point moves, the viewer moves his/her eye. Don't forget you can have as many vanishing points as you wish but all vanishing points must work with each other. What he has done is to create a building at an angle, the leaning tower of Pisa.

Notice the first building and second building are touching each other at the bottom yet you have a big gap at the top of each building. The angle at the bottom is changed, not the perspective view.

I took two semesters of perspective when I was a student at Art Center College of Design. And I do remember plotting 3 point perspective on a large sheet of butcher paper on the kitchen floor. (I was not a big fan of perspective though I did OK). I was just giving you a question to see if you were really interested in sharing your information or as someone suggested, a drive by poster.

Glad to see you are real.

And actually one of our projects involved doing a very wide panorama in which we used quite a few vanishing points as two points would have created too much distortion or have require more paper than we had to avoid the distortion.

I would just like to add that the pdf posted can help to give you a working distance but many of such drawings use the CAD method of producing the elevation’s first. This can be a waste of time if you know perspective drawing. The whole idea is to setup your angle of view, your distance from the object and your measuring points.

When doing perspective remember you are working with a picture plane. That means you can place your subject any distance from that picture plane to achieve less distortion in your drawing and keep it within the cone of vision. The kitchen floor! If anyone wishes to produce 3 point please scale first. As in all cases with 3 point perspective you have to scale.

How about a tutorial for how to do this in Xara Designer?

I am new to forum writing but I am finding it very strange. I joined, went to sleep and woke up to find a load of abuse thrown at me! Just read some of the above posts. I became active in the discussion only to find that no one has anything to say, why?

As artists I would have thought perspective drawing, a subject ALL artists should know because without it you fail, yet nothing. Oh well, I tried to help.