Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara Designer and 3D Shapes

Hello all - new user currently searching the forum archives, but if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be most grateful.

Is it possible to put 3D extruded shapes "together" so that they overlap, instead of being totally independent of each other? Something along the lines of changing their depth?

What I'm trying to do is draw a small number of simple shapes, extrude them, and then assemble them into a schematic diagram for something I am working on.

I'm sure this has been asked before, so if anyone has a link for the appropriate thread, could they please let me know what it is?

Many thanks

Default Re: Xara Designer and 3D Shapes

Welcome...do you have a sample image of what you desire to accomplish? Hard for me to picture what you want.

Take care, Mike

Thanks for taking an interest. Yes, this is one I prepared a while back using a different software package (Swift 3D). I want to do something again - ideally using Xara as its extrude tool produces very smooth renders.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chassis.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	92575

What I'd need to be able to do is create each of the individual elements (wheels, axles, drive shaft, and engine (the extruded rectangle)) and then arrange them along the x, y, and z axes - and when I say it like that I start to think I might be expecting too much of Xara MX in this respect.

Notice how the drive shaft from axle-to-engine intersects with both the differential on the axle and the engine casing. In Xara, all 3D shapes appear to exist totally independently of any other 3D shapes. Interaction doesn't seem possible.

Is it possible to make them interact and hide/cut into each other?

I should clarify that I'm using Xara P&G 2013

Thanks again.
    Last edited by DOAADI; 07 October 2012 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Extra info

I don't believe you are easily going to accomplish this. Xara wouldn't be the software of choice for me if I needed to do it. And it has been more than a few years since I worked in 3D. There is a 3D graphics forum a few doors down:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/forumdis...12-3D-Graphics

You may wish to peruse it, perhaps ask the question there as to free and or inexpensive but good 3D applications for doing this.

Take care, Mike

Yes, I guessed as much.

I was looking at Ron Duke's Buick in this thread and it is sooooo close to what I am after at first glance:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...a-Part-for-all

I'm trying to dissect it at the moment. First attempts reveal a level of complexity that I can't get my head around, and yet it must be simple once you know how!

Using Designer Pro, but achievable using Xara P&G 2013. Close, but no cigar.
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chassis.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	92585  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by DOAADI View Post
    I'm trying to dissect it at the moment. First attempts reveal a level of complexity that I can't get my head around, and yet it must be simple once you know how!
    You're seeing a level of complexity, only because you probably don't understand all the tools and what Ron has done.
    What I learned, early on, was that you need to put a few bits together to get the look you want.

Then, when you understand what the tools do, you'll be able to achieve some amazing results.
    And you've already said that it must be simple when you know how!

There are so many members who will be falling over themselves to answer any questions you have.
    Try it!

EDIT: There you go. Bob's shown you what he can put together.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Thanks, Rik. I'm beginning to see how it works - you have to think of things in a different way. Graphic design and 3D design are not the same thing at all levels.

iamtheblues, I'm able to get something very close to what I want - and along the lines of what you did, which encourages me that I'm on the right track, so thanks for that - but there is one tiny detail that is driving me nuts, and it is that small ball (the "differential") on the axle that you've drawn.

How does one create a 3D sphere in Xara (latest version)? I don't necessarily mean a circle with shading/lighting to give the illusion of 3D (which obviously has its place) but one using the extrude function so that I can get the right overlap?

Or if I'm still not thinking in Xara-terms? Did you create that axle as two separate extruded cylinders and "arrange" them on top of the over the other? I guess you must have when I think of my original question about 3D in Xara.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hi DOAADI, Welcome to Talkgraphics

About spheres, AFAIK it is not possible to create a perfect sphere with Xara's extrude tool. This is mostly because Xara doesn't produce a true 3D mesh. Xara produces a 3d bitmap effect. If you want a true sphere you will need a true 3D program. If you are wanting to try learning 3D modeling without spending a lot of money Blender is a free open source program that a few of us here at TG have used in conjuntion with Xara. You'll find more information down in the 3D forum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Angelize thanks very much for this tip, checking the Blender site that looks very inspirating