Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How to Subtract Grunge Shapes?

you might consider making a copy of your original file and then deleting all the objects, except for the one wing and the grunge, and then applying the subtract and then the expand to this so you can confirm it works
    IP

What I did is simply make a single compound shape of the wings and badge area. Then select it and the grunge, and without clicking the alt key, clicked the minus front. To keep the badge center a solid, just make sure it is not selected when making the wings and the badge "outlines" into a single compound shape.

All the "extra" grunge is gone in this way.

Take care, Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winged_grunge.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	92563  
    IP

Yeah I was going to ask if it would be easier to make it one shape. I got it to work for the most part but the thinner outline around the badge was filling with gray and couldn't figure that out. I obviously need more learning here. Can you tell me how you made them a compound shape. I messed around with it by selecting two wings and outer thin badge border and doing various pathfinders on it and nothing worked. This seems like it should be easier than this to do. I appreciate all the help here.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    What I did is simply make a single compound shape of the wings and badge area. Then select it and the grunge, and without clicking the alt key, clicked the minus front. To keep the badge center a solid, just make sure it is not selected when making the wings and the badge "outlines" into a single compound shape.

All the "extra" grunge is gone in this way.

Take care, Mike
    IP

Hi Bark--yep. Just select the paths to combine. Object menu, Compound Path, Make.

Here is a working file. The solid part of the badge is not shown. Layers panel, click on the eye next to the obviously named object.

Take care, Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Thanks Mike looks like I'm gonna have to use your file because I still tried what you said and I can't even get the compound path right. I feel soo stupid right now. What am I missing?

Attachment 92587

Here is a screen capture of what I'm doing.

http://youtu.be/cDlz03PXOHc

Hi Bark--yep. Just select the paths to combine. Object menu, Compound Path, Make.

Here is a working file. The solid part of the badge is not shown. Layers panel, click on the eye next to the obviously named object.

Take care, Mike
    IP

god, I finally got it to work. This is how I finally got it to work I think. I did path->cleanup on the paths and then I did pathfinder unite on the two wings and thin outer border of shield. Then everything worked... damn... that was crazy. It was simple after that. I guess I need to do path->cleanup more often. Thanks for all the help

Take care, Mike
    IP

Yeah, the path clean up command (and simplify path) command will reduce the number of nodes. But you do need to be careful else the shape can change.

Glad you got it done! Mike
    IP