Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to Subtract Grunge Shapes?

I'm trying to subtract a grunge texture from some artwork that I've drawn but having the hardest time. When I do the subtraction I get the weirdest results. Bits and pieces of original artwork remain and it isn't giving me the result I desire. I've tried everything. I was following these http://www.shutterstock.com/newslett...strator-1.htmldirections which seem pretty simple but I think it has to do with my original paths?? I'm a novice at illustrator and would love to know how to get this to work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wings.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	92529

Here is my artwork [Link removed by moderator]
    Last edited by gwpriester; 05 October 2012 at 11:07 PM.
    IP

Default Re: How to Subtract Grunge Shapes?

Welcome to TalkGraphics.

If the grunge texture is vector (you can see if you view the image in Outline mode), then you will need to remove each bit of texture by selecting it and deleting. I am not much of an Illustrator user so I am not sure which of the selection tools you need to use but it is the one that lets you select individual objects.
    IP

Have a look in the Select Menu. From the drop down box choose "Same" and you will see a variety of choices.
    From your attachment it looks like "Stroke Weight" might give you the best result.
    You might get lucky and find that the grunge shapes are all on a different layer to the art work, and that layer can be deleted.
    So check out the "Layers" window.
    Bob.
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 06 October 2012 at 05:38 AM. Reason: addendum
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Not sure if I explained it correctly. I grunge is on a separate layer and I'm trying to subtract it from the wings below so it cuts out where it overlaps but when I do it get weird results.

Here is what I start with

Name:	grunge1.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	92546

This is what happens with I do minus front

Name:	grunge3.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	92547

This is what I want it to look like

Name:	grunge2.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	92548
    IP

can you post your AI file here?

I am sure there was a reason why Gary deleted your link in post #1, but without the file it makes it more difficult to assess what is wrong
    IP

I'll try again but there is no reason why they should have removed it I guess cause I didn't use their attachment uploading?? I wish I could but 200kb is pretty damn small

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19179569/Grunge.ai

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    can you post your AI file here?

I am sure there was a reason why Gary deleted your link in post #1, but without the file it makes it more difficult to assess what is wrong
    IP

ok main problem I see is that your artwork is in four separate pieces - you maybe need to select these four and group them

then when you select both this and the grunge and then alt+click minus front you should end up with a compound shape

[you can use the layer gallery to select the four pieces of artwork using shift+click and then object menu to group]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grunge t1.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	92553  
    Last edited by handrawn; 07 October 2012 at 01:18 AM. Reason: see next post
    IP

and you can do four separate operations on the four parts - which will preserve the central object's hollow shape - try cutting the grunge to the clipboard and then you can apply it to each of the four in turn using paste in front, worked for me for two sections, so should be ok for all four... although thinking about it the outer section of the centre will probably still infill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grunge t1a.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	92555  
    IP

Man I still can't get it to do it. I copied the right wing and the grunge to separate layer putting the grunge in front. I selected all and did alt click minus front and the result was all the layers combined so I had grunge all outside the wings. Essentially it looked exactly like what I started with but one object.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    and you can do four separate operations on the four parts - which will preserve the central object's hollow shape - try cutting the grunge to the clipboard and then you can apply it to each of the four in turn using paste in front, worked for me for two sections, so should be ok for all four... although thinking about it the outer section of the centre will probably still infill
    IP

ok sorry - what you get is a compound shape so the grunge is 'still there' - you see it when your wing is selected, but not when it isn't

to remove it there is an additional step - select this compound shape and from the object menu click 'expand appearance' - the wing should now be a group and you should appear more as you expected
    Last edited by handrawn; 07 October 2012 at 08:56 AM. Reason: clarity
    IP