Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Youtube Xara Plus Filter Forge video#3 Perfect Portraits

Hi everyone here is the third Xara plus Filter Forge tutorial video! In Perfect Portraits I provide an updated video demonstration of portrait retouching in Xara using Xara's new tools and a Filter Forge filter that I created for just this purpose. In the Filter Forge portion you will see a couple more handy features of Filter Forge as well as a run down of the filter settings

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Default Re: Xara Plus Filter Forge video#3 Perfect Portraits

I started watching this and, looking at the timeline, I thought "oh god I can't hang around for this long" (26 mins), but in fact it's fascinating watching this process, watching how somebody else does it and uses tools that I don't use to achieve the same or better results.

Excellent video, Frances, and as always very watchable.

EDIT : what would be nice would be to see the before and after side by side
    Last edited by Big Frank; 04 October 2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: my cigarette went out
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.
    IP

Thanks for the Feedback Frank here is a side by side before and after. I am trying to keep the videos no longer than 25 - 30 mins, I know that's quite a long time for a how to video, but I am trying to do a small project in each one so viewers can actually see something being created and see complete results. I am also trying to make the videos easy to watch and understand.

The next one is going to be broken down into 2 parts as I just can't fit everything I want to show in the project into one video. I'll give a teaser... It's going to be seasonal and it's going to involve extrusions!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	retouched.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	92528  
    Last edited by angelize; 05 October 2012 at 06:37 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    IP

Does anyone else have any comments or questions about Filter Forge and/or using it with Xara?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

IP

I just did this photo retouch but didn't use Filter Forge as I don't have it, I just used the standard Xara tools. I think I upped the warmth a little too much, looks like I ate too many carrots, LOL

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo_retouch.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	92551
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.
    IP

yes I'd say a few too many carrots Other than that though you have done a good job with the tools you had at hand. I did a retouch job on your before shot using Filter forge as a plugin with Xara and my Perfect Skin filter. ( I hope you don't mind) You can see that the smoothing with the filter is different than with just using Xara's photo tool blur.

I had a before and after picture done with the filter forge filter looked at by some one who has done retouching professionally for a number of years and written several books on the subject and he was impressed by the results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xffretouchingFrank.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	92556  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

IP