Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Internal drop shadow

Hi : just joined. Have been using Coreldraw from version 4 and am self taught. I have attached something I produced about ten years ago but for the life of me I cannot remember how I created the logo. I call the shadow effect "internal drop shadow" - it might have another namClick image for larger version. 

Name:	jbadeight.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	92498e. I should like to use this technique for other logos. Anybody able to help. Thanks
    IP

Default Re: Internal drop shadow

This doesn't look like an internal drop shadow, rather a drop shadow to the negative space. In other words, the darker blue shape.
    IP

I agree with you, tekarts.
    If the shape was closed, then the inner shadow question would be appropriate.

As you say, at the moment, the dark blue shape just has a drop shadow (if that's what they call it in Coreldraw as well?).

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone
    IP

Here's how I would do this.

Create a rectangle that is larger than the area you want to display the inside shadow.

Select the shape and rectangle and Arrange > Combine Shapes > Subtract Shapes to make the hole in the rectangle.

Add a Wall Shadow with the Shadow Tool.

Arrange > Convert to Editable Shapes then Arrange > Ungroup.

Select the shadow portion, then switch to the Shape Tool.

Select the right two control points and use the arrow keys to move the right side of the shadow under the rectangle.

Repeat this step for the bottom.

Change the fill for the rectangle to the same color as the page background.

If want an outline around the opening, add a new character with an appropriate outline and set the fill to none.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drop out.png 
Views:	374 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	93351  
    IP

Looking at your example more closely (I could save myself so much time...) just subtract the letter shape from a rectangle that is slightly smaller than the letter shape and add a Wall Shadow.

To make the drop shadow a color, Ctrl click to select just the shadow, click on a dark color on the screen palette, and reduce the Shadow Transparency slider setting until the shadow is as dark as you want it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drop out 2.png 
Views:	274 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	93352  
    IP

Have been away for a short holiday so only just got around to replying - sorry.
    Thanks to you all for your help. I call it an internal drop shadow - not CorelDraw -
    couldn't think of a better description. I did that sample for a friend running a small
    business, as a favour, about ten years ago and couldn't for the life of me remember
    how I did it. Will have another go now. Thanks very much, Thunderbucket (daft name
    -was what we used to call our primitive toilets in the RAF in Egypt !)
    IP

Thanks for your advice.
    Not sure what you mean by "wall shadow". My version of Cd is X4 and can find no mention of it there.
    I think I can manage that tho' but more unsure of "subject the letter shape ... etc".
    Would appreciate further guidance.
    Tb
    IP

Not sure what you mean by "wall shadow". My version of Cd is X4 and can find no mention of it there.
    Sorry, my bad for not noticing in which forum you posted your question. My samples were done in Xara Designer Pro X.
    IP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Most Value.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	93551This is how I did it. Have your basic shape combined so that it is one object, copy it and blur the edges and put it behind the original, down and to the right to give you an offset. At this stage it would do for me but if you wanted to split hairs on it, the shade where the arrow is indicating gets almost lost. So if you drop another copy of the original shape onto your page and crop it down as shown here, blur the edges and put it behind as before then position it by hand to suit. This can be done with great ease on any vector program as long as it has blur or feather edge facilities.
    I know I may be somewhat late with this but I hope that it is of some help to you or others that read this...
    My best Tabian
    IP

Thanks for that. Will try it. Have a good Christmas and a great New Year (Hogmanay)
    IP