Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: 3D Revolve

Question 3D Revolve

Wouldn't it be great if Xara had a tool like the '3D Revolve' in Illustrator?

Just draw half of any shape (you can see the half that was drawn) and Illustrator turns it into a proper 3D object.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-09-23 at 21.30.47.PNG 
Views:	192 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	92321

You can easily resize it and easily rotate it in any direction, and it's still a proper 3D object.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-09-23 at 21.38.50.PNG 
Views:	176 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	92322

What do the Xperts think?

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Default Re: 3D Revolve

Yep, agree. That would be a fun addition. But when you're talking about additional features, where do you stop? If you have unlimited resources, maybe you do like Adobe and you don't stop. Would the addition of that feature actually enhance what Xara Designer is? I don't think so. Would it be nice to have? Yep. Do I think they should add it to XD? Nah, not really. There's far more pressing issues on the ToDo list...

...In my opinion, of course.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

While I think this would be fun to have, Xara's Extrusion feature is a bit map effect not a true mesh. so to add something like this would probably require major development work .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Not to mention bloat and cost. (great tool, though)
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

What is the possibility this may become part of the program? Or at least the ability to only extrude from one angle so that the extrusion is not a block form as in the creations of a true cone?

My money is on 'no possibility'.

As has been mentioned, Xara's 3D function is psuedo, it creates a bitmap extrusion - for simple objects is an adequate approximation for some illustrations.
    There are some who have used the extrude tool to good effect, but still it's really quite limited when you are thinking in terms of proper 3D.

If your interests are in real 3D rendering, I'd be looking elsewhere (such as the suggested 'Blender' in your 'Cone' thread)