Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Requesting feedback on my Xara Designer Pro web-site

I would tidy up the text and left align the paragraphs; on some pages such as 'why use jcn' it does not look right. An you do not necessarily need the cutout png images on every page, a nice boxed picture; right top aligned would do better. And also keep text on dark backgrounds a lighter colour. Overall though it is a good site and loads quite quickly for me.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by skech View Post
    I would tidy up the text and left align the paragraphs; on some pages such as 'why use jcn' it does not look right. An you do not necessarily need the cutout png images on every page, a nice boxed picture; right top aligned would do better. And also keep text on dark backgrounds a lighter colour. Overall though it is a good site and loads quite quickly for me.
    Hi Skech,

Thanks for all the feedback. You've given me lots to consider. I'm going to start applying some of your suggestions tonight (though it's been a long day and am pretty tired). For others I have to think about it a bit as I'm not sure I fully get what you are trying to tell me so want to sleep on it.

By the way, love the header graphic on your site. How did you do that? Is that with Xara Web Designer or Designer Pro?

Have a good one!

...a nice boxed picture; right top aligned would do better.
    Hi again, Skech.

I replaced the png with a photo and placed it in the upper-right corner of http://www.jcn-associates.com/why-vi...consultant.htm. Is this what you had in mind?

Thanks for your input!

That is so much better, perhaps move the photo down a touch to align with the top of the text. The header on the sketch site was done with snacktools.com.

That is so much better, perhaps move the photo down a touch to align with the top of the text. The header on the sketch site was done with snacktools.com.
    Skech, and others.

Thanks so much for all of your feedback and suggestions. I was actually getting happy with the site but after reading and following all your suggestions I really like it significantly better now. THANKS!!!

That said don't you or anyone else feel shy about providing more feedback. We can always improve, right?

Have a great day!

I for one am hesitant to offer critical feedback, or rather the level of critical feedback as it can be taken the wrong way, I guess it depends on the person asking for critique, I think as long as the feedback concerns the actual design it is fine. It is clear that a lot of websites posted on here are by first timers, hobbyists or personal websites so I for one cannot go into the sort of critique I would on say a professional web design forum. But it is always great when someone like yourself asks for feedback and then acts on that feedback accordingly.

I for one am hesitant to offer critical feedback, or rather the level of critical feedback as it can be taken the wrong way, I guess it depends on the person asking for critique, I think as long as the feedback concerns the actual design it is fine. It is clear that a lot of websites posted on here are by first timers, hobbyists or personal websites so I for one cannot go into the sort of critique I would on say a professional web design forum. But it is always great when someone like yourself asks for feedback and then acts on that feedback accordingly.
    You're scaring me! LOL

I understand what you are saying. I don't do this for a living, but what I do also can lead to a situation where--if taken the wrong way--critical feedback can become a sort point. I usually am pretty good about handling that but clearly there's an added complexity involved when the two parties don't know each other or haven't worked together for some time.

Thanks for the compliment. I can be stubborn if I receive a suggestion that I don't agree with but so far everything that's been presented here has made perfect sense to me--even as a non-professional website builder--so it was clear to me that I should implement them. I am very glad I made this post and the words of wisdom from all of you have been extremely valuable to me.

Al, I was looking at your site, and have noticed the flash (?) section under database application development paragraph on the Software page. I accessed it initially in IE10 in Win8 and it looked wrong somehow. I compared it in Chrome, and its completely different. I can only assume that this is an IE10 issue.... Using compatibility mode makes it slightly better, but still not right. Just letting you know.. resistance is futile - IE10 will be with us all soon :-) Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andymackk View Post
    Al, I was looking at your site, and have noticed the flash (?) section under database application development paragraph on the Software page. I accessed it initially in IE10 in Win8 and it looked wrong somehow. I compared it in Chrome, and its completely different. I can only assume that this is an IE10 issue.... Using compatibility mode makes it slightly better, but still not right. Just letting you know.. resistance is futile - IE10 will be with us all soon :-) Andy
    Hi Andy,

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I really appreciate it.

I've checked out that page on all browsers I have installed (IE 9, FF, Chrome, Safari and Opera) and it is behaving so I think you are right and it's an IE10 issue. Perhaps after they release it they will get it right (otherwise known as IE11 LOL). For now I think I'm going to ignore IE10 and hope it goes away.

Cheers!

http://www.jcn-associates.com
    Visual FoxPro, Visual Studio .NET and SQL Server database application development