Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Video Troubleshooting Discussion

I am not seeing the video (at least I assume that is what the black box is). I have tried on 2 different computers. On one I have IE8 and IE9 on the other.

Note from Administrator BBouton

I appreciate all of your help and patience as we try to work together to solve a puzzling video display problem that is plaguing some of the Xara Xone visitors.

If you are having a problem watching the videos on Xaraxone.com please copy the following section into your post and fill in the blanks, so we can try to find a common trait amongst those having problems with the video.

Browser(s) and browser version used, for example Internet Explorer 9 or Firefox 15 ___________________________________

Operating system- XP or Vista or Windows 7 or Windows 8 : _________

Version of the Adobe Flash Player you are using: ________________________________
    You can check what version you are using vs what is the most recent for your system here http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
    Have done a clean install as outlined below of the Adobe Flash plugin, Yes or No: _______________________________

This is a new problem, you have been able to see the videos in the past. Yes or No __________________________________

This is a problem with only this months video. Yes or No _______________

I can see videos on YouTube OK. Yes or No ____________

Can you play the YouTube video on this test page? http://www.longtailvideo.com/support/jw-player/jw-player-for-flash-v5/15994/playing-a-youtube-video
    I can play it Yes or No or It has Problems, --______________________________
    Clean Flash Install Steps

1. Go out and get a free copy of CCCleaner and install it if you don't already have it. The free version works just fine, you don't need the paid, pro version. I like to get it from FileHippo because they don't try an load you up with loathsome toolbars and other adware junk. http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner

2. From Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features (Windows &) uninstall all the Flash Player entries you have. For example I currently have Adobe Flash Player 11 Active X and Adobe Flash Player 11 Plugin. This should remove the Flash Players that Internet Explorer, Firefox and some versions of Safari use. Chrome has Flash installed as part of the browser. OR
    3. Open CCCleaner and from the Tools section go to the Uninstaller and use CCCleaner to uninstall the Flash Players on your system. I think that CCCleaner usually does does a better job uninstalling stuff.
    4. Updating your browser the the latest version available now would be a good idea.
      1. The Newest version of Internet Explorer 8 ( highest you can go with Windows XP) can be downloaded from: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/i...downloads/ie-8
      2. The Newest version of Internet Explorer 9 can be downloaded from: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/i...wide-languages
      3. The Newest desktop version of Firefox can be downloaded from: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/#desktop
      4. Apple may be phasing out support for Safari for Windows, but the latest and possibly the last Windows version, 5.17 can be downloaded from here http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1531
      5. As always keep a sharp eye out for unnecessary toolbar or other software or settings that may be bundled with the download. Microsoft I'm looking at you.

5. After uninstalling Flash Players, Run CCCleaner and use it to delete Temporary Internet files in all your browsers and also run the Registry cleaner to clean up any stray bits. CCCleaner is very reliable and trusted. But even so when it asks if you want to"Do you want to backup changes to the registry?, be sure to answer YES.
      CCleaner.

All this uninstalling and cleaning gives you a sound foundation for doing a clean install. These basic instructions - uninstall, use CCCleaner and then reinstall work in may situations, not just when dealing with a suspect Flash installation.

Now .......

1. With each browser you have, Go to Adobe http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and download and install the latest version of Flash. Watch out for an unnecessarily toolbar.
    Last edited by Barbara B; 22 September 2012 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Add form for moved posts

Default Re: The September 2012 Tutorial - All About Drawing & Control Points

I can see the video with Safari but not with IE.

Ooops, no I cannot. I see the intro screen for the video but as soon as I click on the arrow to play, it says Missing Plugin. Do I need to download something? If so, you probably should mention it on the page....

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I can see the video fine using Google Chrome latest version, and IE9 The Xara Xone videos are embedded on the Xone via youtube so you could maybe see if you can watch it on the Xara Xone youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/XaraXone?feature=watch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks for the tip Frances. Saw the video fine on the YouTube Channel. I cannot see any of the tutorial videos on the Xara Xone page. This was the first time I had pulled up that page and saw all of those black boxes and no way to click to watch them.

I see the video fine on FF15.

Yet another very professional video, Gary, hearty congratulations. Just a little too fast-paced for me, but otherwise entertaining and instructive as ever.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I do not understand why I am not able to see the videos on the Xara Xone site but I can see them just fine on the Xara Channel on YouTube. I assume they are posted in the same way and same coding on the page but that may not be true.

Anyway, I liked your tutorial Gary. I used the information from your video and then added some of my touches. Here are my balloons:

Attachment 92249
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dave's Balloons.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	92270  

@Steve—

No, David's problem has nothing to do with JWPlayer.

He was able to see the videos, then he couldn't. If others can see the video, it's either David's system, or his browser.

@David—

Barbara believes (she's running different browsers in a VM right now to make 100% sure) that your Flash player somehow became corrupted. This is borne out because I got a private email today from a non-member of tg, stating the same problem, and it was Flash player combined with a really old version of Internet Explorer.

Here's where you can get a fresh copy of the Flash plug-in:

Adobe's Flash download site

@Everyone—if you haven't heard the news, stay off IE 7, 8, and 9 until an update is released, probably next week. A Zero Day exploitation makes the browser risky at best.

Also, I anticipate a question like: I thought Flash was bad and why are you using it for the tutorials!?

The answer is I'm not. Barbara and I are using MPEG-4 files, with about 1/4 the data rate of a commercial DVD for YouTube. The screen captures I think look crisp because I'm using HD 720 (1280 pixels wide by 720 pixels high) for the frames.

YouTube—the company—makes the decision about what the final file format is for playback when a visitor hits a video. YouTube queries what browser a visitor is using, and in the case of earlier versions of IE, which can't handles MPEG-4 on the web, it defaults to FLV files. I don't send them Flash files—YouTube does a conversion.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, David. If you get the plug-in for your browser, I'd love to know if this solves everything.

My Best,

Gary

As a point of data, here on my droid 4, the vid doesn't work. Uh, the big G owns both YouTube and the OS (not to mention the patents from the phone maker, Motorola...).

I can view vids directly on YouTube's site, so perhaps a link in the tut thread to YouTube would be handy. Or maybe on XaraXone, or go whole hog and do both.

Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    @Steve—

No, David's problem has nothing to do with JWPlayer.

He was able to see the videos, then he couldn't. If others can see the video, it's either David's system, or his browser.

@David—

Barbara believes (she's running different browsers in a VM right now to make 100% sure) that your Flash player somehow became corrupted. This is borne out because I got a private email today from a non-member of tg, stating the same problem, and it was Flash player combined with a really old version of Internet Explorer.

Here's where you can get a fresh copy of the Flash plug-in:

Adobe's Flash download site

@Everyone—if you haven't heard the news, stay off IE 7, 8, and 9 until an update is released, probably next week. A Zero Day exploitation makes the browser risky at best.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, David. If you get the plug-in for your browser, I'd love to know if this solves everything.

My Best,

Gary
    I have not looked at the XaraXone tutrial videos before. I just updated my Flash player to version 11 and still get the same problem (see screen capture below).

BTW: Microsoft is releasing an update this Friday and I run software that scans web pages when they load :-)

Attachment 92254

Name:	XaraXone Tutorials.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	92271  

@ Everyone—

Barbara is checking the page, using a VM to text different browsers and different configurations.

It is very, very unsettling not to know whether this problem was always there, or something got banged recently on MAGIX's servers.

Sigh. Remember when developers only had to test against one device and one or two browsers?

@Mike, thanks for the heads-up. Barbara did do a lot of texting back in December of 2011 to make sure that 99% of all devices would display both the Xone itself and the videos. We're talking more than a dozen configurations, okay...some work was involved and at the time we asked everyone and their mother to go to the pre-launch area, and we didn't get one bum report back.

What is important at this point is that I'm not doing this for fun. There's no point, and I'm not serving the community at all if I'm making the videos but no one (or some people) can't see them.

For the moment, the XaraXone channel on youTube can be accessed directly >>>by clicking here<<<

With the exception of June, which was a written tutorial, there's a video each month of this year.

Attachment 92257

So naturally I want you to be able to see and learn from this modest body of work, and then come over and ridicule me on this forum! I'm not a masochist; I just haven't found anyone to abuse me who I respect more than myself.

-g

Name:	8-months-of-vids.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	92272