Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Xara on Mac OS X - another topic for 2012?

So, here we are half way through 2012. And about time somebody made another request for Xara to bring Designer to Mac OS X.

Let's recap...

Xara Designer Pro X, or Xara 8.1.2 has just been released.

Mac OS X 10.8 has just been released to critical acclaim only one year after Mac OS X 10.7

The Mac App Store continues it's rapid ascent, just passing the 10,000 app mark.
    In January 2011, the Pixelmator bitmap graphics software passed the $1m gross mark.

But, as they say in France, the more things change the more they stay the same...

There is still no decent vector graphics editor on Mac OS X.

Two former classics are now both dead: Freehand and Expression.

Forget Illustrator; forget Fireworks, ZeusDraw, Intaglio, EasyDraw, VectorDesigner, iDraw, LineForm, Inkscape. They all get it wrong.

Perhaps the closest match to Xara would be Sketch, which recently won an Apple Design award for its interface. It is a good interface, but still not as easy to use as Xara. And it lacks a number of tools and features.

So, I am still using Xara in VMware Fusion. Most things work "fine" but there is a lot of jumping through hoops - PDF creation, printing, font duplication and so on. I dream of a native version and how much easier my life would be with all the benefits it would bring.

Which brings me to the question: what are Xara, or Magix, waiting for? At what point will Mac OS X become a market worth going after?

Personally, I think that point was the launch of the Mac App Store, January 2011. We're 18 months down the line now and if anybody had any doubts in the Mac App Store being a viable method of publishing, those are surely now laid to rest. There a market here ripe for the picking.

I look forward to any thoughts.

Thanks for reading.
    matt

Default Re: Xara on Mac OS X - another topic for 2012?

Matt

You are flogging an expired equine. :-)

I probably gave the same answer the last time you brought this up.

Xara has very limited development resources and I would expect them to focus on their primary market, Windows users.

Adobe has the Mac pretty much sewed up with very little competition.

Several years back CorelDRAW tried to get into the Mac market and after a few unsuccessful years dropped their Mac project.

Xara would argue that you can run Xara under a Windows simulator.

I already run it that way, Gary. It is "fine", but it could be a lot better.

This is my first thread about this, though I have posted my support and thoughts in the many other threads that exist on the topic.

There are lots of other ways of getting the app native, other than porting the whole thing over line by line as was attempted with the Linux version...

Xara could team up with Crossover, and use their software to run the app. You can already use it with that software, but there are a few rough edges (no font support, graphical glitches) that could be cleaned up with fairly minimal investment. Of course, that would still be the Windows version but it would be a start at bringing things over.

Or they could talk to VMware, Parallels or Oracle/VirtualBox and offer a "recommended solution" for running it on Mac OS X, that could be shipped with the software?

Anyway, has there ever been an official response on this?

matt
    Last edited by gingerbeardman; 27 July 2012 at 11:20 PM.

There were a few 'official' responses to the question between 2000 and 2005. Essentially the same as the one Gary mentioned. The number of man hours required to create a native Mac version is too high. The Xara Group Ltd. development staff is dedicated full time to the Windows application and cannot be spared to work on a version for a different OS.

Between 2005 and 2007 there was an open source project but few Linux and Mac developers participated.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

So if they have the resources/funding for a Linux version, why not mac?

And please don't compare this to Corel's attempt. They can't seem to get anything right over there.

The Linux (Xara LX) project was terminated in 2007, very old news I'm afraid. There was hope that Apple developers would use the same open source code to develop a version because Linux and OS X are Unix like operating systems. Unfortunately 3rd party developers did not embrace the project.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by tekarts View Post
    So if they have the resources/funding for a Linux version, why not mac?

And please don't compare this to Corel's attempt. They can't seem to get anything right over there.
    corel painter 12 is 'right' just saying...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    corel painter 12 is 'right' just saying...
    Right, I had made that observation as well. It is interesting what programs companies' decide to give attention to.

As mentioned above, since Adobe pretty much has the market on Macs, why not go in there and knock them down a bit. I guess neither Xara or Corel are big enough for that. Or maybe Adobe is just that good. I have to tell you, when I do freelance work for companies or sell stock, I stick to Adobe products and my customers expect it. That is just the way it is.

It's pretty bad too when you have software like Gimp and Inkscape which is some ways blows these other guys away. Especially the cost.

Enough said I guess. Not like we haven't all talk this stuff to death in the past.

in painter corel have a program no one else has - nuf said
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Geeze, and I thought I was done here.

Photoshop is the original digital "painting" tool. Have you tried Artrage? I LOVE that program. They have it for the iPad too. Oh geeze, that brings in a whole 'nother category....portable device apps. Hey maybe Xara......ah never mind.