Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Re: Add a little bling! Xara Plus Filter Forge video 1

Quote Originally Posted by zaphodeist View Post
    From what I can see it's not really worth me paying out for as many effects are achievable in Xara and free / less expensive / more frequently cited tools...
    John, both Akvis and Cybia are plug-ins that filter photos...bitmaps. Filter Forge, from a first look of about a hour, generates images, it doesn't[I] filter existing ones, which makes the comparison like comparing apples and avocados.

And if you only value a program that is frequently cited, you'd be on the slow-track for new innovative software. Um, like I discovered Xara after using CorelDRAW for 5 years? :)

I challenge anyone on this forum to create something like this—using Xara alone, or with any plug-in that retails for less than the Basic Filter Factory at $89. You have the same 30 seconds that it took me. :) The closest thing is Genetica Studio at $149 for the Basic Edition.This image seamlessly tiles, and I used the free 30 day trial version.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	argyle.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	92222

"Filter" is a misnomer—the filters modify a pattern internal to a Filter Factory design.

Frances did the community a favor by bringing these developers to our attention, and us to them. I think that's what "community" represents, in "online community". There was no affiliate program involved, and the Administrator brokered the deal very carefully, especially to avoid suspicions as you've posted that it's anything other than a really good, affordable, easy-to-learn deal.

I've kicked the tires of filter Factory, I consider myself to be pretty handy around software and also create tutorials for beginners so I'm not unsympathetic to all skill levels when I strongly suggest that members see this as a deal presented in good faith as anything other than its face value.

—Gary
    IP

Whoa! Slow down there! Just can't get my head round the need for it ... your image is lovely but would I need it? Times are hard I shall follow the tutorials with interest for any Xara techniques

Oh and for the record I mentioned the affiliate program because Frances suggested I could possibly cover the program's cost with it. I didn't suggest Frances was on the affiliate program
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP

Okay...this...is...me...slowing...down, John.

I have no idea if you'd specifically need a specific image.

That's hardly the point and I'm completely sympathetic to troubled economic times. I had to borrow a bag of consonants from my next door neighbor (who is a wealthy IT) just to write this.

The point is that it's new and affordable and offers greater possibilities for fills that Xara does without the plug-in.

The point of this thread and this post, too (probably) is that it's very easy to say, "Oh, not for me. Pooh-pooh to things I have no time for and are too expensive. What a load of rubbish, probably. All it can do is argyle patterns."

The point of Filter Factory, is that it can be used to speed up work in Xara: that's why the video tutorial, that's why some interest among members has been generated.

Don't hold your breath until there's a tutorial on how Xara all by itself can produce photorealistic textures such as the ones that take seconds to render in FF. The steps would be an exercise in futility; yes, you can indeed cut a Giant Sequoia in half using a nail file.

Okay, don't go cutting down Giant Sequoias.

-g
    IP

Frances, I just finished watching your tutorial and I have to say that I both enjoyed and was impressed with the tool.

I have to say that I am somewhere in the middle on this one. I can certainly see and appreciate the power of the tool. However, since I am retired, still in the "learning" Xara mode, and do not use the it for any commercial or "need to do" things, I have some mixed emotions about spending he money for it. Then again, based on some things we tried in another thread, I can see the power. I will probably download the trial version and mess around with it. That may give me the incentive to purchase it (although right now I do have a "burning" need for it).

Gary, I do also agree that we need to stay up with stuff as digital art and graphics is changing rapidly and if you want to stay in touch you need to be proactive.

Again, Thanks Frances - if someone reading this has not taken the time to watch her tutorial, I think you will be impressed with the power of the tool and how easy she makes it look.
    IP

Program looks excellent, seems very easy to use for great results. Tried the 50% discount and the price actually increase from the 40% discount to almost the original price, also the price that's advertised was about $40 more than the advertised $129....any idea why?

Thanks as always,
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hi Ed,

I'm not certain about what may be happening with the coupon, I have passed your question on to Filter Forge and asked if they would reply to this thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Thanks very much Frances.....I really like this, it's a great addition for creating quick and seamless images....fun for creating weird and wonderful stuff for sure....

IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

It certainly is a great companion plug in to Xara, and I'm glad you are finding filter forge and the videos useful! I am working on a new one
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Karateed View Post
    Tried the 50% discount and the price actually increase from the 40% discount to almost the original price
    I've checked the discount coupon, it is still working. Please note the discount is valid for the software only, not for the options like the backup disc and preorder to the next version. The fastest way to address such questions is to contact our support team but I'd be happy to help here if I can.

-- Mark
    IP

Hi Mark,

They did find a problem in support with how the page was doing the discount. It was fine with the 40% discount but when you put in the code for the 50% discount, the price increased, not decreased. I suspect a program loop was not pointing to the correct exit point in the program and I believe that was solved. The other issue I saw was the advertised price on the mid-sized version was $249 - $100 = $149 but when I got to the form, the starting price was $272.29, not $249. I just noticed the discrepancy and was wondering why. I've also addressed this question to support.

Thanks for your answers.........

IP