Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Add a little bling! Xara Plus Filter Forge video 1

From your image it looks like a good start I'm not sure what you mean about the pixel sizes, do you mean the ruler settings in Xara? If so you can set the rulers in the options on the grid and rulers panel. If this isn't what you mean could you post a screenshot showing where your settings are different?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Ah, I see the setting in FilterForge as the pixels......it depends on what work has been done on the graphic it would seem so no need to worry on that one. I seem to be having trouble having Xara keep the same look as what I get in FilterForge....I'll go through the tutorial again to make sure I'm not missing something. I probably forgot to lock the image and then it most likely went haywire at that point.

Well, at least the diamond looks ok. When I look at it in my FilterForge it doesn't seem to be as 'accurate'. When I use the preset it definitely looks different than yours. Are there basic preferences/options that should be set up first in FF or is it a function of my computer's video drivers? Any idea?

Thanks again......
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11
    IP

Another effort, last one for today.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bling1.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	93001  

IP

I like that one, it looks like you are having fun.

One thing that I can think of that could make a difference in how the effects look in Xara is the resolution of your effect in Xara. You need to set the resolution that Xara will render the effects from the options effects & Plug ins tab there are two drop down boxes one for default Live effect resolution and one for default locked resolution I found it works best if you set both of those at the same. I keep mine set at 300dpi as I often need to have things done for print. You can actually type in any amount you want in those boxes (a lot of Xara's input boxes are like this) Be aware though that the higher the resolution the longer the effect will take to render.

I don't think it is a case forgetting to lock the effect because if you don't lock it Xara will try to re render the effect if you do anything to it and for some reason this kicks up an error from Filter Forge, and you lose the effect. I have reported this to the folks at FF and as they have said they want to make Xara a fully supported host program I am hopeful that when the next version of FF is ready for final release that this might get fixed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    IP

Thanks Frances,

Yes, I am having fun....this is a really neat plugin and the last one I did without using the tutorial (well, not the video) just my memory and playing around with the settings to get what I want. It's getting there, not where I want it yet....but I'll do what you've said above and see what happens.

Thanks again for the encouragement and the great solutions.

I also noticed the errors and was going to say something but you've already dealt with it, it seems....and I also lied....I did another one....pls see attached.....I'm getting happier with it....poor choice of bg I think but live and learn....I never said I had an artistic eye....but maybe with practice....and yes, it does take a bit longer to render but certainly very bearable....what an awesome plugin for Xara.....

I added a couple more just to show my line of thinking....I finally got the level of depth on the text I wanted.....creating with 300dpx certainly has made a huge difference....I'm on a P4 computer and it's not terribly fast but fast enough with Xara and FF.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bling2.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	93002   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bling3.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	93003  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bling4.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	93004  
    Last edited by Karateed; 13 November 2012 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Add a little more bling

IP

Very nicely done. I like the last one the best.

I know this is off topic but I have been noticing your avatar is that based on local Squamish First nations art?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

IP

Thanks very much Frances....I like the last one best too......anyone that doesn't see value in doing and re-doing a tutorial, well, there's the proof.....it's getting better to do and I'm doing it much quicker also.....lots of room for improvement still though I see. If you have suggestions for improvement, I'm certainly all ears.....hmmm, maybe someone should do a graphic on that one?

No, that was an avatar done with another 'moulding' type program. I wish it was based on First Nations but it was just an accident that I liked....

IP

BTW, that was an awesome tutorial, clear, concise and well thought out.

IP