Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default What is the best dSLR camera out there right now?

I'm interested in photography and I want to know what is the best quality dSLR out there right now? I'm a beginner, so I probably would need something that is user-friendly, but also the best of its kind. My price range would be anything from $600-2000. If you could recommend anything for me, that would be great!

I would also like to know, how can you tell a good quality camera from an okay one?

Default Re: What is the best dSLR camera out there right now?

$2,000 for a camera, as a beginner? You would be wasting your money.

Go for a more basic camera and learn how to use it. When you do learn how to use it, you'll know which camera you want to buy.

seriously, don't spend more than $300 and learn your craft first then if you have the need to go for a professional price of kit.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

You are correct in wanting to begin with a DSLR for a whole host of reasons over a point and shoot. And, there are many choices within your budget.

I can only tell you why I would make a certain choice over others. That does not mean the particular choice is the "best" dSLR. It simply means that for me, it is a great choice. I would start by looking down the road as to where you want to go with Photography. No matter what dSLR you choose, eventually you will realize that it is the lenses that make the biggest difference in where you can go with it.

In my case, I took a hard look at the lenses that I eventually wanted to be using. That pointed me to Canon as a path... not just a camera. While I didn't start with Canon "L" lenses, I knew that those were the lenses I would eventually want to be using. It has turned out to be a great decision.

Along the way I owned 2 Canon Rebel cameras and now own a Canon 5D MK II. Recently, the graphics department bought a Rebel t4i for backup and it is a truly amazing camera for the money. The t4i body is just under $800. Let's suppose that you choose that camera. And, the cost of full-frame cameras is coming DOWN. It's not where you need to be now. But, eventually it will be.

Now things become interesting. You can get a start-up package... EOS Rebel T4i Digital Camera with EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens for under $1,200.00. It's a decent lens. But, all 'S' lenses are limited to "crop" cameras, like the Rebel. If you eventually go with a full-frame camera, you will not be able to use that lens.

OR... you can anticipate your long term needs and buy the 24-105mm f/4L IS EF USM AF Lens which will work with that camera AND full-frame cameras. It's an investment in the future as well as a great lens for now. And, it's STILL within your budget!

Finally, please, make sure you learn to shoot in RAW+JPG and process RAW using the Digital Photo Professional that comes with the T4i. If there is anything that sets apart a $300 camera and a dSLR it is the ability to shoot and process in RAW. If you plan to stick with JPG only, then the others are right. Stick with a $300 camera. But, I sense that you are serious about doing some great photography. And, RAW is just one of the elements that can get you there.

Canon T2i

There are many good reasons to buy a DSLR though no one can really tell you which one. It would probably be Nikon or Canon, but then there's Olympus, Pentax etc. which are camera systems that have many enthusiastic users who would explain why they are the better choice.
    Whatever system you buy into, that's exactly what you are doing, buying into a product line. Once you have a Nikon body you are buying Nikon lenses etc. It doesn't matter if its a full blown DSLR or a smaller system camera from the likes of Panasonic; they've got you.
    In my opinion you would be better starting with a good quality small camera with a good fixed lens from Panasonic or Olympus and start taking photographs and develop both your skills and style with that before blowing what is considered by some a small fortune on a camera system that might sit gathering dust because its just awkward to use or simply not portable enough to be out with you when you might see something to photograph.
    I would say the best sort of camera is one that you have with you. Whether it's a compact camera or a camera phone, you're better off to be able to take a picture when you see something than to wish you had your camera with you and miss a picture opportunity.
    Starting point for such a camera would be Olympus zx-1 or Lumix LX-7, both have good fast lenses and produce excellent images and are more than good enough to keep you happy until you decide for yourself how best to proceed with your interest.
    Read reviews of any camera you might be interested in. I like http://www.trustedreviews.com/cameras/ but there are many other similar review sites.
    Derek

Some of the big box stores, Wal-Mart, Costco (both of which I think are now in India) often have special deals where you can buy a DSLR camera and get two lenses, for a lower price than if you purchased these from a camera store. I have a Canon 2Ti and I love it. But it might be a lot more camera than you need. The Nikon Coolpix P510 is a good point and shoot camera that is better than some of the smaller digital cameras but not nearly as expensive as a DSLR.

hey there are some options from canon and sony. similar discussion was carried out here
    Last edited by masque; 24 January 2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: removed link to commercial site

I'm afraid this thread is like dropping a pebble into a pond - it sends out ripples but is never seen again after it's first appearance.

Well, I'll drop another pebble.

As a post above pointed out, it's really a commitment to a given line of lenses.

For me, that means Nikon, as I have an old FM3a film camera. But I'd have to get a full-frame DSLR, like a D600 or D800, to get the use of my wide-angle lenses. But the full-frame DSLRs cost a LOT of money.

If I didn't have my Nikon lenses, I'd get a Pentax K-5. Beg, borrow, or steal. Waterproof, mudproof. But again, it's more than your budget. So -- you should look at the Pentax K-01. It is interesting. Takes all the zillion Pentax lenses, just like a DSLR... has just about the same image quality as a K-5... and it's less than $500 on Amazon USA.

But the real advantage of going with a <$500 camera is that you'll have more money to spend on lighting. Check out the $35 CowboyStudio NPT-04 FM radio-wireless flash transmitter/receiver set... and inexpensive YongNuo 460-II or 560-II flashes... and two Westcott 43" umbrellas -- a white shoot-through, and a white/black reflector. All of a sudden, for very little money, you're in business. Lighting is everything!