Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Default Re: Bouton's Features Wish List for version 9

+1 to the editable stroke shapes, I've wanted that for years.

One thing I'd like to see is the ability to rotate the canvas (and then have a button that snaps it back into place when I'm done) for drawing lines or curves at angles that would be awkward to draw when the page is straight on. When I'm drawing on paper, I can turn the page around whenever I need to, I'd like to be able to do the same on screen. Yes I know, I can always rotate objects, but there are times when I want the existing objects' position on the canvas to remain the same. And yes I know, I can rotate the drawing tablet also, but that is not always convenient for people who do not have wireless tablets.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

A Rotating canvas would be awesome.

But I fear freehand drawing comes in a lower priority stack in this program, I'm ok with that though.

Transforming fills are really the next step in vector drawing, sketchbook designer has really innovated in this regard.
    However much of the rest is clunky and limited.

See at about 22 seconds:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6NIIY7UIMQ

If something like this could work on fills and transparencies, I'd be floored.

Marc

I agree, Marc. There are a few nice and innovative features in Sketchbook, but mainly how the live fills work.

This is going to be a really long list...

Take care, Mike

I'd like two things only:

1. Expanded infobar and toolbar customisation:
    - the ability to split the Text tool infobar (so no need for SuperWideInfobar)
    - I like to keep my installation with only the icons I use

2. Official support for CrossOver to run Xara on Mac OS X without Windows or a VM
    - Xara could take control of this, however I am making good progress on my own: see here

Quote Originally Posted by MarcT View Post
    Transforming fills are really the next step in vector drawing, sketchbook designer has really innovated in this regard.
    However much of the rest is clunky and limited.

See at about 22 seconds:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6NIIY7UIMQ

If something like this could work on fills and transparencies, I'd be floored.

Marc
    Wow! That was impressive! The ability to conform the fills to the shape we want is brilliant. It´s a mix of the mold tool with the gradient tool in one
    A great step ahead.

Those vector fills in SketchBook look awesome.
    Would be a great tool in Xara.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

The thing that I took from SketchBook Pro more than the over elaborate gradient come mold tool was the fact that a none closed line could produce a vector fill. Look at the workarounds that we have to do to get that! Think about the time saved that would produce drawing a cartoon. As Gare has been going on and on trying to focus on his request for brushes/strokes/profiles that work. To all the people that read this thread would that not save you time and effort for all users and it doesn't matter if you are designing for print or web as these features would suit all.

Now I haven't upgraded from DPro 6 because I have felt that the upgrades weren't worth the money asked for them. I don't think that static sites attract my customers as more and more people want the ability to have a CMS type site so Joomla/WordPress have to be used and learnt. My work use to demand that I used AI so I had to reduce the number of times that I booted up Xara and use Illy but I tell you now since CS4 I have enjoyed using that product nearly as much as Xara. So the time has come for the Xara company to raise its game and sort out the brushes, strokes and profiles. I would also add a mention as well, this only applies to the Pro version, the way the programme handles colour as I hate the guess work it involved when producing a PDF this has to be developed or it can't be a Pro version.
    Design is thinking made visual.

I like the ease and simplicity of the feature. Illustrator has a Mesh Warp, as does CorelDRAW, but they are cumbersome to use and it's often simpler to get the effect you need using a Blend.

-g

So, I had a chance to go out a create some illustrations in Xara. After using Illustrator CS6 and DRAW X6, I have seen that Xara has really kind of fallen behind in terms of features. At least, they seem to have taken another direction.

I would really like to see Xara add features like vector color adjustments (see Corel's Color Style Pallet and AIs Recolor Artwork tool). I know you can assign color and THEN change them, but Adobe and Corel's method are MUCH better. You can make them at the end and to part or the entire illustration.

I'd like to see the ability to adjusting the width of a line like CS6. (See their Width tool).

I'd like to add:

Proper optical kerning
    Layer comps
    Line width control (as Illustrator)
    Rough effect (as Illustrator, see separate thread)