Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Sitemap on website

Hi all,

Does web designer 8 have facility to create an HTML sitemap that can be placed on a page of your website to help users navigate? I understand that this can be done by a number of 3rd party services and then the HTML pasted into web designer, but it would be neater and more maintainable if there was functionality within Xara....

Default Re: Sitemap on website

None of the Xara web products can do this (yet?).

As you say, all you really need to do is upload your website and then go to http://tools.webmasters.sk/sitemap-creator.php

and it'll create it for you in a jiffy.

There are plenty more, better and worse, paid and unpaid. If there was one incorporated in Xara it would probably create as many arguments as anything else, but I, like you, think it would be a good selling point if nothing else.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Thanks Big Frank! To me it seems such a basic functionality to have and surprising that it is not there, given how well Xara performs in other aspects! Onward...

Version 8 can do XML Sitemaps, no need for sitemap-creator.

Website URL: Enter the full URL of your published website here if you would like to automatically generate an XML Sitemap, which is a list of the pages on your website, and helps search engines find and list all the pages in your site. When you export your website, a file called Sitemap.xml is also created in the main export folder. If no URL is specified here when you export your website, no sitemap is created.

Thumbs up Re: Sitemap on website

My man! Thanks.

Hello.
    I also have a question regarding the sitemap.
    Currently XWD uploads a sitemap.xml file automatically, is it possible to stop this?
    another script i have creates a sitemap.xml file so when i publish from xara that file gets overwritten?

Please advise
    Carl

Currently XWD uploads a sitemap.xml file automatically, is it possible to stop this?
    Dont do what I described in post #4

Unfortunately your site will also not be submitted to the User Gallery

I think the original post was looking for an HTML version for human visitors to view and help them navigate. This means it should look like an ordinary web page (HTML) in the website.

Some transformation is needed from XML to HTML in order to do this if you use the default sitemap output of XWD.

Well spotted RickieMouse

Neither WD or DP have a HTML sitemap generator. As the sites created by WD & DP are rarely large the navigation should normally be enough. If not then a simple page of categorized links is straight forward enough.

I'm currently trying to get Xara Photo and Graphic Designer V7.1.2 (October 2011) to upload a sitemap.xml file and have followed the instructions in the support faq

http://support.xara.com/index.php?_m...articleid=2918

but can't seem to get the file to be created.

Am I missing something, please ....

EDIT - Ah, I seem to have solved it ... it's put into a .WD directory that I hadn't noticed. Apologies
    Last edited by Colin Carpenter; 07 October 2013 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Found the problem