Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help

Default Re: Help

@handrawn--pretty vague. Simple English says any images I create *before* the trial is over can no longer be used in any fashion *after* the trial period. Which is wholly nonenforceable.

@Jbruce,

You can export from Xara to an Adobe EPS format from the export menu choice.

Successful translation of the elements from Xara format to EPS will depend upon the elements themselves and any effects that are applied to them. Some effects do not translate well. There is a couple page thread here which contains some of those issues:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...o-EPS-problems

Take care, Mike

Jbruce

I would create a PDF or PDF/X file. If you have used any specific fonts that your client does not have, you can convert your text to editable shapes (but keep a copy of the document with the fonts not converted in case you need to edit the text).

As Frances mentioned, a PDF document will include all vector objects and can be imported and edited in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.

An EPS file is not intended to be edited. EPS files are intended to be "placed" in publishing applications such as InDesign and QuarkXPress, and output for printing.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Jbruce

I would create a PDF or PDF/X file. If you have used any specific fonts that your client does not have, you can convert your text to editable shapes (but keep a copy of the document with the fonts not converted in case you need to edit the text).

As Frances mentioned, a PDF document will include all vector objects and can be imported and edited in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.

An EPS file is not intended to be edited. EPS files are intended to be "placed" in publishing applications such as InDesign and QuarkXPress, and output for printing.
    Unlike PDFs which are being suggested, EPS files *are* / *were* meant to be edited. PDFs have never been, never intended to be, an editable format--PDFs were intended to be fixed and final formats. That some applications *can* open them for editing to a degree of success ranging from not well to quite well is immaterial.

There are still many, many vendors of clipart and customers who insist upon receiving EPS files. And unfortunately, customers who insist upon a given format often cannot be persuaded to move to another format.

What I would suggest to Jbruce is to find out what application the customer is desiring to edit the design with. And comply with the customer's desire.

Take care, Mike

I don't use a trial version, I have bought the Xara program, and I am trying to learn the ins and outs. I am new at this whole computer graphics thing but I hand draw pretty well, Trying to incorporate the hand drawn and the computer graphic thing so I can sell this design I created but I don't understand file source and EPS and all this other computer jargon. I have been offered 500 dollars for this design/Logo but he wants full access to the file so he can edit text and colors if need be. Example how do i make a zip folder that he wants and how do I make it an EPS vector File. Also I have saved my drawing in a master file so if I can turn that into a ZIP that will probably be fine right.

Have you drawn your design within your Xara application? If not it may not be entirely vector which is what the buyer will be expecting. You can export your Xara vector drawing to EPS (Encapsulated PostScript) format then place it within a .zip file.

Since you are new to graphics I would recommend you to select one of the members that have posted some assistance and have them review your work before you submit it to the buyer.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Mike I think you might have answered my question but I dont understand how to convert to a PDF file. Can I do this as I export the file.

Mike an eps file was not meant to be edited it was designed to be used as a graphic file. The DSC (Document Structuring Conventions) required a bounding box to be included in a postscript document so it could be inserted within another postscript file for layout similar to how a raster image could be positioned within a layout.

QuarkXpress and InDesign came along afterward and used the encapsulated ability to their advantage.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I'll leave this thread alone after this comment. As I told someone in a PM a few minutes ago, I fully understand what EPS and PDF file formats are and their intended usage. Tell that to the thousand or so graphic exchange/sale sites. Some are slowly moving towards AI and PDF, Corel and other file formats.

Re Bounding boxes. EPS, AI or PDF makes no difference. They all contain bounding boxes (and other "boxes"). So? This has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

The topic at hand is a person's customer wants an EPS file. So export the file out as an EPS file. Take a little time to educate the customer as one complies with their request. Likely the customer has some recent version of AI. Perhaps not, but I would suspect so.

Best regards. Mike

After going through all the post I have been able to figure out what I have to do. Thank you all for your time and assistance in this matter, I have successfully submitted the required PDF and EPS documents to the buyer.

great - that's good to hear
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...