Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pantone export is different

I am using both XDPX (v8) and XDP (v7) on this computer. The xar file was made in and exported from v8. I have tried it in v7 too.

The vector graphic is text that has been converted to shapes, sliced and assigned two spot colors.
    I assigned a pantone spot color on the bottom, and a shade of that pantone on top of the graphic.

A couple bitmap copies of the vector font are included and they look alike in the xar file.
    Screen shots of what I see in my editor are on page two of my xara file.

The exported pdf comes out with colors that are not the same. Have tried PDF/X (all of them) Tried Reader 8 with CMYK and Native.
    Same result every time.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I can't complete another project if I can't get my spots to come out properly.
    Thanks so much.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	testing_colors_in_pdf.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	91880
    This is the way the colors look in the exported PDF. The vector shape is not the same colors after export.

TESTING_color_conversions.pdf
    TESTING_color_conversions.xar
    Last edited by samrc; 30 August 2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: add another file
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Default Re: Pantone export is different

You do understand that Xara's color space is RGB which differers greatly from CMYK? And Pantone colors are meant to be made from specially mixed inks and not created with CMYK colors?

Of the Pantone spot colors, about 1/2 can be matched exactly or very closely in CMYK, 1/4 come close and 1/4 cannot be matched or even come close in CMYK.

Have you looked at the colors in Xara using Window > Show Printer Colors > Simulate Print Colors? This will give a more realistic idea of how the colors you see on the screen will look when printed commercially in CMYK.

Try these two files. If you have Acrobat you can see that there are only the colors you defined. In case you do not have Acrobat...

You do need to use native. I don't know if the PDF settings are retained in the XAR files or not. But if so, you should see the PDF version I used and that Native is chosen. You cannot use PDFX-1a.

Take care, Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pantone.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	91886  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yes Mike, I have Acrobat X Pro 10.1.4 and yes, I get the same results in Output Preview.

But, and I might be wrong, but I interpreted Samantha's question as one of what the colors look so different in a PDF file than they do in Xara, and that is what I tried to explain. Sorry, if it did not come out that clearly.

Ah, thanks, Gary.

If not for print, then the design(s) should be in RGB equivalents and used when generating the PDF. It will be the closest match--just like exporting an RGB bitmap from Xara.

Take care, Mike

Thank you for the responses.
    I appreciate both sides of the issue being discussed. I do understand that the workspace colors can vary from the printed colors.

In the past when I was using pantone, I had the ability to use a pantone printed chart to pick colors and my computer station and printer were fully calibrated so the colors were quite close while working. I was unaware that this computer has huge discrepancy for visual and the printing result is different than expected too.

I was asking about BOTH the visual aspect and the printed too. You both assisted with your answers and I appreciate it. Glad to know about the Window setting to simulate print colors. That helps a bit.

Mike, I know you said do not use PDFX-1a. There are many other options. Which did you use for best export?
    I made a note to set to Native instead of CMYK, though that feels strange.

Thank you
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

How the PDF specifications are implemented and or carried out in the final PDFs are simply different. So most of the times one does desire to use PDFX-1a for final print PDFs. Fact is that some transparency, flattening and or blend issues are handled differently by the various PDF specs and so when one type has an issue, another type may not.

I know this might be clear as mud, but just keep in mind when type of PDF spec and or settings has an issue, try another.

Take care, Mike

BTW, an additional work-flow thing that has practical ramifications.

If I am designing something destined for both the web (RGB) and print (CMYK) I always use CMYK to design in. Why? Because nearly every color that can be created in the CMYK color space (its gamut) can be translated into the RGB color space. RGB has very wide color gamut and only a smal core of its colors can be recreated in the CMYK color space.

And needless to say if I am designing for print, I always design in a CMYK color space...

Take care, Mike

Hi Mike why not PDF X-1a if you are not going to edit the drawing? Things like transparencies will print better and text layers on top of your drawing will also print better.
    Design is thinking made visual.

PDFX-1a can have certain issues with transparency that may cause blend issues--often seen in drop shadow "halos" and other artifacts where a transparency needs to blend. The flattening process is different between the various PDF specs. In fact, in some extreme cases, using the PDF 1.3 spec can be the only good solution, PDF 1.3 is pre-transparency ability in a PDF. It is akin to simply exporting as an image which also is a means of obviating flattening issues. Doesn't always work, though, especially with larger format work because of the memory overhead.

Anyway, point is if one PDF type doesn't work, try another.

Take care, Mike