Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

xdp6 Problem exporting PDF file to Rastelink3 rip

I hope someone can help me get this straightened out.
    I am currently using Xara DesignerPro7, and when I try to export files created in this program with a drop shadow effect, I can not import it into my current rip program [ Rasterlink 3.5] this rip is used to print to a Mimaki JV33-160 printer.

The rip starts to open the file ,then suddenly drops the file and says " unable to process file.

Anyone having similar problems?

In order to print these type of files I have been saving them as jpgs. or tiffs. The problem I have is that saving the files in either of these formats puts extraneous dots in the file which then prints with what I can best describe as a "halo" around some of the elements that are on a white background. The general elements I am printing are for sign work that "SHOULD" print with clean crisp edges like you would expect from vector artwork.

Default Re: Problem exporting PDF file to Rastelink3 rip

Your problem with RasterLink is most probably caused because the shadows created by Xara are not vector but bitmap live effects.

If you click on a standard shadow in your Xara document and click the Live Effects Tool you'll see that the live effect selected is "Shadow" and if you click "Edit" it'll switch you to the standard Shadow menu.

If you want to create exclusively vector shadows in Xara you can do so fairly easily using the Contour Tool.

The following image illustrates the underlying difference between the two tools' output:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	contour shadow.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	173.8 KB 
ID:	91939

The Contour shadow in this image was created using black as the colour of both text objects wth the inner (upper) being 89% transparent and the outer (lower) being 100% transparent. The Contour in this case is a 10-step contour but if you're going to print to wide output like the Mimaki then you might consider a 20, 30 or even 50-step contour to make the shadow effect as soft as possible. In any event, the shadow will be 100% vector, which is what you are looking for.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

What Frank states is correct the shadow effect is a RGB bitmap but you could also have problems using transparency as it is also is rendered as a bitmap using PDF export. If you are having any problems using Frank's method you could try a blend as this method is straight vector. Don't have any experience using your RIP software so cant make any comments there but we use HP with no troubles but you might look at your colour profile that you are using with the software as most RIP software should handle bitmaps (Raster Image Processor).
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    If you are having any problems using Frank's method you could try a blend as this method is straight vector
    Isn't Contour also straight vector? I thought it was, maybe I'm mistaken.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Yes Frank your right but I was really talking about the use of Transparencies here, sorry about not wording my reply correctly. My mistake.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Ah, as for the transparency factor, I cannot offer an opinion. I'm assuming any half-decent RIP software will interpret that correctly, but some print houses continue to use outdated software that might not do as good a job as we would like (or make excuses for not having up to date software).

I did try my example using the Blend tool blend, but the result was, frankly, awful. That's why I stuck with Contour as the probably solution. I think a blend will work better on two irregular objects than on text. At least that was my experience.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Frank;
    If using the Contour feature, how do I get the shadow alignment to look like your example above? i.e.[down and to the right] not showing anything above or to the left of the original lettering?

Here's the XAR file, that should help you out:

contour shadow test.xar
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I think I figured it out. You make a copy of the main item, then create the drop shadow from the original, then position the copy behind the original where you want the shadow to appear? Correct?

Yep, that's about the size of it. Once you have the technique nailed down, drop shadows in vector will hold no problems for you.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.