Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I'm trying out this program during slow times at work and wondered if anybody has tried it more extensively than I have.

It's got some odd quirks: like the fact that it deselects your object when you apply effects, forcing you to re-select it, and (at least on my computer) the objects are very blurred and jagged. You do have the option of sharpening your .jpg prior to exporting it, but it would be nice if I could actually see a closer facsimile of what it will look like while working on it. This makes assessing effects somewhat difficult because I just can't see what I will be getting and find myself unsure if I've achieved the effect I want.

If you've used it, let me know what you think. I did see some posts about it some time ago, but it would be nice to hear from those who've tried it and have been using it for awhile now.

Thanks!

I'm trying out this program during slow times at work and wondered if anybody has tried it more extensively than I have.

It's got some odd quirks: like the fact that it deselects your object when you apply effects, forcing you to re-select it, and (at least on my computer) the objects are very blurred and jagged. You do have the option of sharpening your .jpg prior to exporting it, but it would be nice if I could actually see a closer facsimile of what it will look like while working on it. This makes assessing effects somewhat difficult because I just can't see what I will be getting and find myself unsure if I've achieved the effect I want.

If you've used it, let me know what you think. I did see some posts about it some time ago, but it would be nice to hear from those who've tried it and have been using it for awhile now.

Thanks!

Hi Smorg.

I am not familiar with Real Draw but there must be a Real Draw forum or something out there which could help you [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Not sure if this is any help or not either but maybe the jagged polygon effects you are seeing are due to low anti alias settings in the general settings or setup [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Cheers.

Stu.

I have indeed worked with Real-DRAW, and it's an amazing piece of programming - from which I hope the people at Xara will "steal" quite a few features for the next XaraX!

As long as you view your art at 100% it will be razor sharp, but viewing at larger sizes it will - like in a bitmap program - look jaggy. So it just does not quite behave like we are used to with vector programs. Exporting in the "mega-JPG" file format allows you to render out a larger sized image than what you have defined in the "Project" setup.

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Thank you, Klaus [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] That just might be it, since I always zoom in between 200-400%. There is a Real-DRAW forum on www.nebulus.org, but no one else suggested it might be a zooming problem.

Media Chance has a couple of export filters on their site for .gif and .tiff; do you know anyone who can write one for .wmf? I have no programming background whatsoever, or I might have downloaded the file they provide that lets you write your own export filters.

Takk!

Do they render their vector lines as bitmaps on screen (Fireworks does this with curves, I believe).

If it is true vector, then it shouldn't get jaggy at all, regardless of magnification. Maybe I missed something about this program.

T