Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Separate Web functions from graphic functions into different products

For some of us, the problem with going all-in-one is the changes we can't ignore that appear to be web-based. For example, the assumption that bitmaps or photos you import are destined for web use and therefore should be downsized and/or converted to jpegs.

Default Re: Separate Web functions from graphic functions into different products

Personally I prefer having separate programs, no one program will ever be able to do everything, as the old saying goes 'jack of all trades, master of none'. That way you know what it is you're actually getting.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

but xdpx is not a 'jack of all trades, master of none'
    it is a 'jack of all trades, and master of them all'
    it is the others that are missing features
    as shown when someone who doesn't have xdpx asks "how can i do xxx"
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I can think of lots of features xara does not have - an authentic airbrush being one
    Last edited by handrawn; 29 August 2012 at 06:50 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

by others i meant the xara products lesser than xdpx
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

ah right - I don't think skech did, but no matter
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by amoore View Post
    For some of us, the problem with going all-in-one is the changes we can't ignore that appear to be web-based. For example, the assumption that bitmaps or photos you import are destined for web use and therefore should be downsized and/or converted to jpegs.
    Here's a thought. When you install Microsoft Visual Studio, you are asked what your primary use is going to be. For example, will you be developing apps for the internet or the desktop (and probably now, tablets, not sure)? Which programming language will you be using? etc. The setup program then "customizes" your install to your preferences. You can always go back and change these preferences anytime.

Perhaps Xara could do something similar and optimize your install for you work preference. For example, if you are targeting print, and not the web, then have the setup program prompt you and adjust settings appropriately. In this case, turn off bitmap import optimization.

now that's a novel idea
    Name:  thumbsup.png
Views: 135
Size:  6.7 KB
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Brilliant! You kind of get this when you create a new page or website. But they do not take it far enough. At the very least they should give the users the options to create templates that will incorporate settings for the specific uses.