Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Separate Web functions from graphic functions into different products

I would like for Xara to separate the web functions from the photo and graphic functions. I know you already have a separate product (Web Designer) but I would like for you to remove the web functions from PGD and only have graphic and photo functions in PGD. I have not upgraded to Designer Pro because most of the enhancements were to the web functions which I do not and will not use. There are some graphic functions in Designer Pro (in particular the shape builder tool and some other color functions) that I would like to have but the upgrade seemed to be primarily aimed at the web development audience. We are different audicences IMHO.

Once that is done, I would like to see some enhancements in the animation arena. I also own x3d and like the product but would like a little more freedom in defining the animation. I would even vote for combining the x3d functions with PGD rather than the web functions (see above).
    I think Xara has a great potential to rival Adobe if it would develop a product (OK - maybe a separate animation tool) Flash but in an AVI format or some other format. I would like to be able to use the animations created in the Magix Movie Edit Pro (I occasionally create DVD slide shows).

A couple of things that I find limiting about x3d are:
    1. You can not define the animation path. I would like to freely define where and how an object or objects move in the animation sequence
    2. In x3d, you can not animatemore than one object
    3. I can not create draw or create something within x3d. I have to create it externally (most generally with my PGD software) and paste it into x3d and in many cases that is a two step process as well (one for the shape the other to add the "flll"

Going still another step further, it would really be great if the Xara and Magix teams got to gether and developed a smooth way to create some animation sequences that could be used in the Movie Edit Pro product. Man, talk about something powerful, that could potentially blow away the competition (IMHO). Think After Effects and its powerful capabilities.

Default Re: Separate Web functions from graphic functions into different products

Good suggestion Dave. You can export your animation to AVI. When you have your animation ready to export open the File menu and you will find an Export Animation option.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export-animation.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	91775  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Re: Separate Web functions from graphic functions into different products

I would argue with that suggestion. Personally, one of the things I really enjoy about Designer Pro X is being able to do everything in one program.

If I need to edit a bitmap, I simply open a new window and then cut and paste the edited image back into my document. When I create my stereogram images I am using all Designer Pro functions to prepare my images for publication. At the same time I might be working on a website in another document. And in a third window I might have a PDF or AI logo or object that I am preparing to use for web or print.

Not having to jump from one program to another is a relief to me.

I have used Web Designer MX and for me there are too many functions and user options missing. Xara has taken a lot of control out of Web Designer in an effort to make it easier for new users, and that's great. But I prefer having all the functions, tools, capabilities, etc. under one roof.

I am fully aware that how I work may not be how others work. So the preceding comments are only my opinion.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I agree with Gary, my workflow is often the same I'll have a website open in one document and a print project in another and often while I'm working on the week's paper I'll have the paper laid out in one document and I'll do the ads in separate documents and each ad is saved to a special ads folder which I have added to my designs gallery so all I have to do is update that folder in the designs gallery then drag and drop my ads into the paper layout.

It's not unusual for me to have 4 or 5 documents of different types open at once For me too it's a relief not to have to switch between programs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Agree with Gary and angelise. I love being able to do all my web and graphic design work in one program.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Yes, I agree with Gary as well. Have as many different products as you want but put it all together in a Designer Pro version.

strange... a word so common on these boards once is very rarely seen these days, what was it now..... oh yes, I remember..: 'bloat'
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Heh, heh. Lot's o' threads on this one.

I am in the "separate the functions" camp. It's a shock, I know.

Eventually Serif realized that the overlap between the web functions in PagePlus needed moved into the separate web app. PP does still have an html out put option but that is in part needed for the ePublishing functions that have been added. But WebPlus has developed far and beyond what they could have ever accomplished in PagePlus. In the end, it was best for both applications.

Instead of beefing up the web stuff in XDP, Xara could beef up the drawing aspects of the web apps and rip out the unneeded web stuff from XDP. It would ultimately be best for both apps.

It isn't likely to happen. So, in the famous words of the post just above--we will continue with bloat as the html features are increased.

Take care, Mike

I am definitely in the DO NOT SEPARATE class.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

While I understand your comments, I would like to propose additional things to think about:

I can understand your need for graphics support on the web side (before I retired, I designed web applications which is vastly different than web sites). Graphics can plan an important part of web site design and composition. I could support combining Web Desgner and Designer Pro. There is a lot of cross over in that invironment.

I do not agree on the PGD side though. I see PGD as a competitor to PhotoShop and the web components both detract from and add bloat to the graphic and photo editing tool. I would, as I said before, also like to see some combination of PGD and x3d and even some strengthining of the animation capabilities.

Again, just the opinion of someone who would not use the web functions since I used tools that are more comprehensive in the web coding environment because of the type of web application work. Secondly, on that front, many web hosting facilities have tools that are very closely aligned to the web developer tool.