Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Can I add/edit one character in the Font yanone kaffesatz?

I knew what I thought he meant, Frank.

Or did I?

See my previous post. I copied the caron component itself from the s caron characters.

-g

...and what's wrong with being anal?
    IP

Yanone is also missing r-caron and R-caron, so I added them as well, plus the unicode mappings, and tested in Xara

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yanone.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	91751

Attachment 91752

nothing wrong with being anal on occasion i guess but all the time would be pretty intensely insufferable
    Last edited by Gare; 24 August 2012 at 04:11 PM.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.
    IP

Big Frank—

I just practiced being anal a moment ago.

I removed your finished truetype font as an attachment because no one has permission from the creator of the typeface to modify and distribute it.

I have your file and will be happy to post it for you the moment urednik and/or Yanone posts approval to edit and redistribute the typeface.

This has very little to do with TalkGraphics' policy, except that it conforms to good web practice for respecting creator copyrights.

The only reason I posted the VFB file, which is not a typeface file but instead a resource, a project file (you can't load and use it in Windows)—was for anyone with a good font editor to find the character slots for the new glyphs.

I'm not picking on you Frank, or admonishing you. I'm just being a Moderator, being just a little anal in the CYA sense, and the only time you might not want your backside watched is in the shower.

-g
    IP

whatever
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.
    IP

I looked at your work on the typeface, and it's meticulous, Frank.

The registers are correct and you went the extra mile with the additional carot characters.

You really should get paid for your effort.

I hope that urednik or Yanone kaffesatz replies ASAP with an approval/permission.

His Twitter account is https://twitter.com/yanone, if anyone would like to tweet him and ask (again).

My Best,

Gary
    IP

Oh that looks great! Thanks.
    Caron (thanks there) is present in the ttf file in the 1250 latin 2 set, but it is not a created glyph yet. It has the numbers 010C and 010D for lowercase.
    Do we really need to create a unicode set?
    Perhaps this should do, shouldn't it? (perhaps I talks absolute nonsense, but it seems like a nice try to me
    IP

Sorry first now I saw the second page of this thread. Thanks Frank. I respect your decision Gary as well, although I regret it because I would like to test it out if this is working at least. But now we just have to sit and wait.
    IP

Because you cannot accept private messages at this time, I have to make this public, sorry, urednik:

If you yourself have the means to change this font, it is your own business.

As a Moderator of this forum, I cannot allow the posting of material to be downloaded that is not public property, or the creator has not given TalkGraphics express permission to use it. It's the same as posting a licensed copy of software just for testing on this forum. Fonts are software.

Yes, we must wait for permission, but as I posted earlier, you can Tweet the fellow and ask.

My Best,

Gary
    IP

BTW, along this topic of self-editing for one's own use. Adobe's policy is that one can edit a font to their heart's satisfaction as long as no one else gets their hands on it. An Adobe font thus altered can be used for commercial work. Got that from the horse's mouth in writing. As well, it is posted on their web site.

Which is why it is a good thing to contact a font's author. Many/most individual font authors are pretty good folk. Some houses, like Linotype, on the other hand are very restrictive even when a font contains obvious faults.

Take care, Mike
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hi everyone! First I want to thank Bill, Frank, Gare, and Mike for stepping up and trying to help urednik

However I have decided to remove all links to the font files. Even a zipped file is still re-distributing the font. Gare is right that we need to have permission from the font author before we can post any files here on talkgraphics. I have also pulled Gare's font lab project file because while this file does require the use of a specific program to use it, it is still a form of re-distribution.

The font in question is available for free from Google fonts http://www.google.com/webfonts/speci...one+Kaffeesatz and at the author's site http://www.yanone.de/typedesign/kaffeesatz/ But this does not mean that we have any rights to distribute it here on TG.

I have written to the author to ask permission for us to edit the font and publish the files here at TG. If I hear back from the author I will let you know, and perhaps then this can go forward.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP