Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Can I add/edit one character in the Font yanone kaffesatz?

Sorry first now I saw the second page of this thread. Thanks Frank. I respect your decision Gary as well, although I regret it because I would like to test it out if this is working at least. But now we just have to sit and wait.
    IP

Because you cannot accept private messages at this time, I have to make this public, sorry, urednik:

If you yourself have the means to change this font, it is your own business.

As a Moderator of this forum, I cannot allow the posting of material to be downloaded that is not public property, or the creator has not given TalkGraphics express permission to use it. It's the same as posting a licensed copy of software just for testing on this forum. Fonts are software.

Yes, we must wait for permission, but as I posted earlier, you can Tweet the fellow and ask.

My Best,

Gary
    IP

BTW, along this topic of self-editing for one's own use. Adobe's policy is that one can edit a font to their heart's satisfaction as long as no one else gets their hands on it. An Adobe font thus altered can be used for commercial work. Got that from the horse's mouth in writing. As well, it is posted on their web site.

Which is why it is a good thing to contact a font's author. Many/most individual font authors are pretty good folk. Some houses, like Linotype, on the other hand are very restrictive even when a font contains obvious faults.

Take care, Mike
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hi everyone! First I want to thank Bill, Frank, Gare, and Mike for stepping up and trying to help urednik

However I have decided to remove all links to the font files. Even a zipped file is still re-distributing the font. Gare is right that we need to have permission from the font author before we can post any files here on talkgraphics. I have also pulled Gare's font lab project file because while this file does require the use of a specific program to use it, it is still a form of re-distribution.

The font in question is available for free from Google fonts http://www.google.com/webfonts/speci...one+Kaffeesatz and at the author's site http://www.yanone.de/typedesign/kaffeesatz/ But this does not mean that we have any rights to distribute it here on TG.

I have written to the author to ask permission for us to edit the font and publish the files here at TG. If I hear back from the author I will let you know, and perhaps then this can go forward.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Yes, I respect that as already said, however this is not altering. Legally it is adding. Now I am not familiar with US system but here in Slovenia it can not be restricted, since it is of no use without our letters, it is like a car without wheels. And many font styles do unfortunately the same. They discriminate Slavic (and moreover Arabic ...) languages, which were centuries ago spread to more than a half of European continent. Now some guys from USA created computers without ever thinking about something else as Germanic or Romance alphabets and we have to suffer that also in 2012 almost on every step: UTF is not supported. This is really frustrating.
    So as much as I respect your work, I still can not feel else but frustrated. You can use all fonts, however I can use one third of them. In our era this is pure discrimination. The law which prohibit adding our functionality is therefore against our democratic principles and hence a pure discriminative manipulation.
    You might answer that the author has the right not to allow this set to be used for our characters but how would I feel then?
    Of what use would such a decision be? Oh wait he maybe wants us to buy a version with my characters, where you can use yours free? It is not in the sense of EU democratic standards.

Sorry to be rude, pardon my English, but this way you can maybe better understand where my cynicism derives from

Anyways I already contacted the author both through mail and Twitter, but his autoreply was convincing. He will for 99% not be able to answer until mid of sept. My intention was not to publish that, but to respect his authorship, solely to test it.
    Because there is a big possibility that this would not do. You seem to be sure that the webfont altered in this way would display correctly?
    Hope you are wright! Thanks again!
    IP

Hi urednik—

Sadly, very few if any members on TalkGraphics are well enough versed in copyright law to interpret your request to satisfy the letter of copyright laws.

So what we are doing here is erring on the side of caution.

I understand your frustration and do sympathize with you completely. It seems as though something is very close to being in your grasp, but this stupid plate glass window is stopping you.

For what it's worth, TalkGraphics is hosted on a German server, I believe (MAGIX), and whatever legal issues they'd have would be rightfully theirs.

Let us not continue to discuss what international laws might be in effect, because none of us are qualified to debate this. No one at TalkGraphics is trying to start a fight or deliberately make your work harder, urednik.

You brought someone else's typeface to TalkGraphics and asked whether it could be modified, in theory and in practice.

The answer is "yes". I'm sorry that I appeared to give something and then take it away, but it wasn't mine to begin with and I apologize.

Clearly, there are people who are willing to help. We just need permission from the creator.

Respectfully,

Gary
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Neither Gare, or myself are discriminating against anyone, I understand your frustration and as the author appears to be German I'm sure he will too. And yes I got the same auto response

I sent Yanone a link to this thread and invited him to join our discussion. We may have to wait a few weeks but that is better than potentially violating someone's copyright.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Not to be understood wrongly:
    I appreciate your help as well as Mr. Gerners Yanone art of work very much. However to much of talking about this system is not helpful as well. It is making us believe that the world is not ours but from each of us a piece. Do you always drive intentionally by law? You don't. No one does. We all are people. Therefore it is not respect always which saves our lives, but moreover our concentration and willingness to understand new situations. So mentioning the law more than one time is rather an excuse to me
    No offence please.
    IP

urednik, if you post your email adress here maybe somebody can show you at least how to achieve this yourself using some free or cheap software

edit : however anal much of the above sounds (and i both sympathise with your argument and and indeed agree) i reluctantly agree that those rules apply and must be observed because
    1. this is a private forum belonging to xara/magiks
    2. we have to obey the rules or get banned which isn't much fun

i hope yanone contacts you soon
    Last edited by Big Frank; 26 August 2012 at 11:37 PM.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.
    IP