Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara Web Designer 6 webpage size question...

I am very sorry for asking a stupid question.... but...

How do I get the webpage to collapse and expand to a browser window?

Using : Xara Web Designer 6
    Site : http://ragequit.us
    Problem : Unsure what "option" needs to be check for website to expand and contract to the browser.

Please let me know if the question doesn't make sense. It is driving me crazy and I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. Do I need to start from scratch and enlarge the pages themselves? Any help ASAP would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Xara Web Designer 6 webpage size question...

Xara builds fixed positioned/element sites. It does not dynamically resize.

Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Xara builds fixed positioned/element sites. It does not dynamically resize.

Take care, Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike; but, what can I do to fix the problem? What settings do I need to adjust for in the creation of a new one to give a fuller size?

Welcome to TalkGraphics jcosta

It is not a problem to fix, it is the way Xara works. You design your page to what you feel is the best possible size and Xara builds all the HTML for you. But the size of the site is determined by your page size.

You can make your page larger or smaller as you wish. So if you want the page to display larger in the browser, then make your page size larger in the Page Options > Page Size dialog.

Quote Originally Posted by jcosta View Post
    Thanks for the reply Mike; but, what can I do to fix the problem? What settings do I need to adjust for in the creation of a new one to give a fuller size?
    Hi,

I wanted to give a fuller answer to this but have only freed up the time to do so.

One can give the appearance of full-width by adding a color to the pasteboard or by tiling a bitmap image. Both of these methods are used on dynamic, fluid sites. One does not desire, no matter the tool, to not have a maximum width because layout begins looking odd and text becomes more difficult to read the longer the text lines become. WYSIWYG editors such as Xara mitigate this issue by building fixed-width web sites--it cannot grow too wide for comfortable reading.

In other web development platforms, this is usually set by using CSS code to set the max-width property. The same goes for setting a minimum width you desire for the site to "scrunch up" if a viewer narrows their browser too small. This is done in the CSS file by setting the min-width property. The point being is that dynamic width sites are usually designed to only be certain widths.

So whether using an editor such as Xara or using a coding application, one usually fills the space beside the page with a complimentary color or a repeating tile image.

Take care, mike

I completely agree Mike.

Best practice is to see what content you need to display and build your site around that, if you only need to use a single column layout then a smaller width is preferable, and I concur that a long line of text is difficult to read 15-18 words is a good width. A popular trend in web design is to keep sites simple or what is called a 'square' layout, this means a site 955px in width with a coloured background. You can also have a 'full width' site by extending bar elements beyond the size of the actual site as in this site:
    http://www.inspireweddingflowers.com/ as you can see the site fills the whole screen but is still a 955px site. There are plenty of tutorials on here for creating such backgrounds.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Skech,
    I see you site and is amazing!
    You can post a project example of how you can work with backgrounds?
    Please!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skech View Post
    Best practice is to see what content you need to display and build your site around that, if you only need to use a single column layout then a smaller width is preferable, and I concur that a long line of text is difficult to read 15-18 words is a good width. A popular trend in web design is to keep sites simple or what is called a 'square' layout, this means a site 955px in width with a coloured background. You can also have a 'full width' site by extending bar elements beyond the size of the actual site as in this site:
    http://www.inspireweddingflowers.com/ as you can see the site fills the whole screen but is still a 955px site. There are plenty of tutorials on here for creating such backgrounds.
    Last edited by neowolf; 23 August 2012 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skech View Post
    There are plenty of tutorials on here for creating such backgrounds.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    Exactly Where?