Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question about having buttons link to web sites

I am a relatively new user of Photo & Graphic Designer 2013. I decided to try using Xara's Holiday web template to make a web page. The opening page of this template has six buttons across the top. I renamed the buttons and then tried to get the left-most button to link to a web site. According to the Help file, "To add a link to a button or any other object, select it using the Selector Tool and then click the Link icon on the Website toolbar." My first problem is that I don't see a website toolbar, nor do I see a Link icon anywhere on the Xara interface. However, since the six buttons seem already to have been made to link to the Xara web site, I simply changed the link URL so that it shows the web site I want to link to rather than the Xara web site. However, clicking on the button does not take me to any web site. Instead, it just puts a little box with the web site URL below the button. If I then click on that URL, I will be taken to the web site, but that's not the way I want the button to work. I want to click on the button, not on the rather clunky box that appears below it, which contains a link and the words "Change" and "Remove."

I have the feeling that I'm missing several key steps, but I don't know what they are. I've attached a small screen shot that shows the clunky box with the Xara URL (I could have shown the URL I tried to use in the first button, but both clunky boxes work the same way, so I made the screen shot using the pre-set Xara URL). In the screen shot, clicking on the button that says "Argentina" produced the box with the URL. Clicking on the URL in the box will take me to the Xara website, but clicking on the button will not.

I'd be most grateful for some help in figuring out what I need to do. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara_link.gif 
Views:	118 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	91513  

Default Re: Question about having buttons link to web sites

I have moved your post to the Xara Web Design Chat forum. Any questions about web topics are better discussed in this forum rather than the Graphics Chat forum.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

When you see that pop up menu, select Change and then you can link to another page, an e-mail address or another website. You can also link to a file (like a DOC or PDF) and I think you can link to a pop up menu on the page.

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    I have moved your post to the Xara Web Design Chat forum. Any questions about web topics are better discussed in this forum rather than the Graphics Chat forum.
    Thanks very much. I didn't realize that there was a separate web design chat forum.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    When you see that pop up menu, select Change and then you can link to another page, an e-mail address or another website. You can also link to a file (like a DOC or PDF) and I think you can link to a pop up menu on the page.
    Thanks, Gary, but that's not my problem. I know that I can change the URL--that's how I changed the first one I tried from Xara to a different site. But in both cases, the only way I can then go to the site in the URL is to click on what I've called the clunky box containing the URL. Normally, one can just click on a button or other graphic that contains a link. One doesn't have to see a box that contains the URL and the words "Change" and "Remove." The instructions I quoted above talk about the Link icon and the Website toolbar, but I don't see either of those, so I have the feeling that I've somehow missed a key step.

you don't see "Change" and "Remove" when you preview the page
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    you don't see "Change" and "Remove" when you preview the page
    Aha! Mystery solved! Thanks VERY much, Frank.
    Can you (or anyone else) also tell me how to find the Link icon and the Website toolbar?

The icon that looks like a Linked chain.

Name:	links.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	91514  

Thanks, Gary, for the screenshot. I don't have that link icon (see attached screenshot).

Name:	xara_missinglinks.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	91515  

OK.

I'm not sure from your profile which version you have. Bit if it's Photo and Graphic Designer, try this.

Go to the Window menu and select Control Bars...

See if there is a Website entry and if so, check it. This will enable the Website Properties menu.

Name:	control-bars-website.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	91517