Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Quality of imported pictures is poor

Hi all, I'm a newbie to Web Designer MX premium, and I seem to be having a quality issue when importing a black and white photo into a web page. The photo has a lot of sky with various light and dark areas, but when I add it to a page, the gradients in the sky look horrible - this is the photo: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fotolia_42444741_Subscription_XXL.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	91496 which doesn't look bad here, but on the page, the sky is very pixilated, and the dark and light areas don't blend in at all - almost as if it were an 8-bit image. How do I properly import an image and keep the quality?

Thanks,

Don

Default Re: Quality of imported pictures is poor

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Nothing wrong with the photo. Make sure that your Quality setting is set to High Quality or Very High Quality.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	view-quality.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	91499  

Gary, is this the answer to my problem as well (well, one of my problems as well!

When I imported and saves pics from my camera, import into Pro X and then export as a .jpg and attach them to an email, they come out at 76 K. I needed one at 1 MB or larger to send to a publication and had to do so through WD Pro 7.

Tks - jb
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Welcome to TalkGraphics

Nothing wrong with the photo. Make sure that your Quality setting is set to High Quality or Very High Quality.
    Yep, quality is set to very high - here is a screen shot of the imported photo from a page preview:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara Web Designer MX Premium - Internet Explorer Preview_2012-08-15_00-46-14.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	91534

Do you see how the sky has sharp gradients to it? I've imported other (color) photos and I don't see the same problem.

I don't see the banding you're reporting when I import your initial JPEG file, perhaps if you supply the resultant XAR file it would be possible to further diagnose this issue.

The image is effectively 8-bit since for each pixel the values of each channel is the same (that's what greyscale is).

Good old wikipedia:

"Even with true color, monochromatic images, which are restricted to 256 levels, owing to their single channel, can sometimes still reveal visible banding artifacts."