Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New version of PSP coming soon

IP

Default Re: New version of PSP coming soon

I got a press release today from Corel and they are apparently going the same route that Adobe went earlier this year with a "cloud" based membership option. I have not used Corel for many many years, since I discovered Xara, so I did not read much more of the press release.

What Adobe have done with Creative Suite 6 is make all the suite products available as "Apps" for a reasonable monthly fee. They also have a series of iPad and tablet apps that work with their CS products.

I suspect that Corel is offering the same kind of deal.
    IP

Corel seem incapable of original thought, or maybe that's just my interpretation.
    When they bought PSP from Jasc in 2004, they bought an excellent product, every bit as good as Photoshop in the right hands, but easier to use, easy to customize, which one can't say of PS.
    Now Corel are just copying what others do.
    I am very sad about that.

Grenou
    IP

In the mid-90s Corel entered into a distribution agreement with Xara. The deal was they would get Xara into US markets.

After one year, Corel stopped supporting Xara. After they had copied Xara's on-screen interactive interface, transparency tool, Infobar etc. All of these features were new to the next release which was DRAW 7.

Fortunately, Xara was able to get out of the contract and has done very well since.
    IP

I didn't know that Corel had made use of Xara's features, but do remember Xara pulling out. I cheered (very loudly!) especially as the "Corel is where good software goes to die" remark in a forum, many years ago, has a ring of truth about it.
    Poor PSP is suffering this indignity now. I would love to knock some heads together, but it is likely way too late.
    Am still beta testing though, I hope it makes a difference..

Grenou
    PS: Am not very proficient at holding my breath!
    IP

I love your avatar.

Yes, holding one's breath can be bad for your health in general.
    IP

Can I just say a word here in support of Corel, in as much as they do have one excellent product and that is Corel Painter, and version 12 is much improved and Corel have put a lot of thought and effort into it.

It is a shame the same cannot be said of the current Paintshop Pro
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Steve how do the Corel versions of Painter compare to the original Mark Zimmer and Tom Hedges version or the MetaCreations versions?

Grenou I still prefer the Jasc versions of Paintshop Pro. Corel came out with version 9 after they bought the app from Jasc. I have version 8.1 on one of my systems, version 7 on one and version 6 on another. I have version X3 on another machine and it cannot beat the older Jasc versions.
    Last edited by Soquili; 21 August 2012 at 02:22 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

I started with Fractal 5 Bill so I'm assuming you know what that was like [and I don't want to drag the thread too far off topic] and how much of an 'experience' using it was

Painter 12 is very stable on my win7 - it has dual core support and it has full on-screen antialiasing lack of which was always the major pain for me - fewer crashes certainly averaging no more than a certain vector app we both have

The UI is now very nice, everything is easy to find and use, but you do still need to do some adjustments outside of it

If you push the brushes too far they will slow down and sometimes fall over, but that it a question of knowing the limits, everything has limits

In short Painter is now more enjoyable and a lot more easy to work with and there is nothing really out there for painting that compares

but, paintshop pro - I have jasc ver 9 and I have never felt the slightest inclination to upgrade - for one thing the Corel versions seem to come with a whole load of stuff I neither want nor need, such as file/image 'managers' - mind you if the next versions of PSP has made these features 'behave' or preferably 'optional' I should be pleased, but I think it is indicative of the target market...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I love your avatar.

Yes, holding one's breath can be bad for your health in general.
    Hehe, thank you Gary (Sir), I enjoyed making it, not in PSP, but in Xara :-) With the avatar needing to be small, I need to explain that the dot in the camera lens is a birdie..
    I love your brain power, any spare bits going, erm.. spare? I could do with a large chunk!

Grenou
    IP