Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Link issues

Default Link issues

I have a website I designed for my department where I work. I used Xara Web Designer 7 to make this website. The only problem that I have encountered involves Link to File under the Web properties tab. Most documents link fine and will take you directly to the desired location, PDF files, spreadsheets, word documents. But when I link to a word document that has links in it, and try to click on the link I get an error message that reads "Cannot locate the Internet server or proxy server." Is there something I should be doing differently or something else I can try to fix this?

Thanks!

Default Re: Link issues

Hi tmgood2, welcome to TalkGraphics.

Are you using complete URLs for your links within Word?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Yes, all of the links that are within the word document are links to other documents on our company server. The links will work when I select them by going to the word document through all of the company folders, but do not when I click on the link from the website. For some reason when I acces the word document through Xara, the links stop working.

How are you linking to the word document? Is it opening in Word or is it opening in a web browser window?

Your web pages are not being accessed through Xara at any time because xara is not a web browser you have created web pages using Xara and export them to web pages.

Is your Word document saved as a .docx or .doc or as a .html?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

It is opening in word, not through a browser window. I believe all of these word documents that I am linking to are saved .doc. Should I save them as something else to be able to access the links on the pages?

Thanks,
    tyler

Thanks Tyler. As I understand; when you link to a .doc from a web page the links in the .doc don't work, but of you open the .doc by direct access the links work. I believe this is caused by the different security domains. The web page link opens Word in a reduced security scenario than opening Word directly. I would suggest working with your IT staff to resolve the issue.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Ok thanks I will contact IT and see what I can figure out. I appreciate your help.