Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: The July 2012 Xara Xone tutorial

I am a new user to xara but I love the simplicity of it tools and functions. I am following one of your older tutorials on displacement maps and I'm having a little trouble with a function that I'm quite sure should be easy to perform. In the eraly part of the tutorial you mention to make a ten percent safety around the image. How do you do that exactly?

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Can you give us a link to the tutorial?

This is probably what he means Gary, but I'm not completely certain.

http://www.xaraxone.com/tips-and-tri...waving-flag/3/

Page 3
    "leave about 10% safety around the principal"
    Does this sound like what you are asking about Solomon1?

I guess this means to make the custom distortion map bigger then the image you want to displace to allow for the shrinkage that may take place.

When using something like Photoshop the Distortion map and the image to be displaced I think should be the same size.

Solomon1 I don't think 10% is an exact thing, just eyeball it.

What say you Gare?
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thanks, Larry.

@Solomon1—Larry is exactly correct. The Displacement plug-in doesn't map the distorted image exactly one-to-one because the edges are distorted in addition to the center of the design or image.

Try this, and it doesn't scale a safety area to exactly 10% on all sides but it's close enough for rock and roll:

Make your flag design, and it should include a background rectangle. This rectangle is the shape in your composition you'll scale up 110% so a 10% safety around the important area of your flag is almost exactly ensured.

Select the background rectangle with the Selector tool. Now, hold Shift to constrain the scaling to occur from the center of the shape outward.

Click and drag any corner selection handle until the Scale field on the Infobar says at least 110% and then release the mouse button.

Done!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	safety.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	92998

Please check in here with your progress, and especially if you need more help with this, okay Solomon1?

Thanks again, Larry.

My Best,

Gary