Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modify Toolbar

Default Modify Toolbar

I have been trying to add the Pen tool to the fly-out with the other drawing tools (Shape, Freehand, Line and Eraser). I am able to get it there but when I close the application and reopen it, the Pen tool is not there. If I just put it on the Toolbar, it stays.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this the way it is supposed to work? It would be great if I could add the pen to the fly-out and have it stay there all the time

Default Re: Modify Toolbar

there is a specific registry key that determines whether the pen tool is on the drawing tool flyout, so unless you edit the registry to change that key [ShowPenToolOnFlyout] it will indeed revert back when you restart the program

I went looking in the registry. Where should it be and what should the setting be?
    I did see this entry
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RegistryCapture.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	92289
    Last edited by dcahall; 21 September 2012 at 07:06 PM.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Xara \ XtremePro \ 8.1 \ Options \ FlyoutBars

[for designer pro x - slightly different for other versions]

the key is ShowPenToolOnFlyout - change value to 1

usual disclaimers about registry mods being done at your own risk etc..

EDIT - don't change any other references to this key, if at all unsure back up the registry first
    Last edited by handrawn; 21 September 2012 at 07:15 PM.

GOT IT- Thanks a bunch. I think this should be a default on installation.

I generally do not like messing with registry entries. It can be DANGEROUS

here be dragons...

I think Xara only ever intended the pen tool to be for users who were used to that sort of tool elsewhere - it is said you can do all the pen tool does and more with the shape tool; myself I rarely draw with either...

Gary uses it a lot in "The Official Guide". Can be very handy..........I am working my way through the book (VERY SLOWLY) and have picked up a good many tips along the way. If I ever get through it, I am going to start a thread about it.

yes Gary seems to like it - don't get me wrong, I think they are wonderful tools if you are a designer or an illustrator or any other producer of art who needs precision in the placement of paths - but on the other hand, there is little point in drawing a straight line between two points and then repositioning it afterwards, if you can draw the curve with the degree of accuracy you need in one go with a freehand tool... and the shape builder tool is a great freehand tool as well
    Last edited by handrawn; 21 September 2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: typo

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Maybe Bill Taylor (Soquili) would be interested that Registry Key. I know he has been ill lately but when he is back to working on XaReg he may want to include that. I prefer to use XaReg to edit the registry for Xara If I can.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Sily question - What is XarReg?