Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I am an absolute newbie when it comes to flash. I am getting ready to buy flash mx and was wondering what books people recommended. I have done a little research and it looks like I may either get the Flash MX Bible, or Foundation Macromedia Flash MX. If anyone else has a recommendation please say so. I have never used flash, and really want to start trying to make webpages with it.
    IP

I am an absolute newbie when it comes to flash. I am getting ready to buy flash mx and was wondering what books people recommended. I have done a little research and it looks like I may either get the Flash MX Bible, or Foundation Macromedia Flash MX. If anyone else has a recommendation please say so. I have never used flash, and really want to start trying to make webpages with it.
    IP

The best book I've found for Flash ActionScript for Flash MX is "Object-Oriented Macromedia Flash MX" by William Drol. It starts off really slow, but it does force you to learn the code. It does this by:
    1) Not providing a CD with all the source code.
    2) Forces you to type all the code yourself.

If you are looking for a source on Flash Remoting, most books available cover it to a small extent but doesn't quite get you where you want to be. I'm awaiting my order for Ben Forta's books "Flash MX Integration with Cold Fusion MX" and his "Cold Fusion MX" books. Ben Forta has, in the past, provided excellent instructive books so I'm hoping his books will open the doors a bit more.

Good luck and I hope this helps you out a bit.

Scott
    IP

I'm looking at those same two books right now, full of little tabs, markers and folds...looks like you spent time at the shelf too, huh?

Foundation kept me busy for 2 weeks, and the Bible, well...I'm good for awhile! Be sure to define goals. Maybe you're more of an ActionScript Bible Kinda Guy!

How's THIS?
    IP

GoSTUDIO MX... And start with your tutorials. Keep the $150.00 book money for inkjets and food!I've been low on time, but this is my starters...(Don't bother browsing - it's a mess)
    www.custommadebeads.com ...Bit 'o Flash, Still in my old HTML structure, and www.beado.com ...starting with Dreamweaver and Fireworks. ColdFusionMX is the kicker though!

They ain't much, but hey...

How's THIS?
    IP

TheRealCanadianBeado-

Which on eof those books would you reccomend me getting first? As I already said, I am a complete beginner when it comes to flash, and my first goal is to make a cool flash intro page for my website. Is one of those books better for just starting out. I will eventually buy the other book, but I want one book to start out.
    IP

If you are wanting to create a Flash intro for your web site, you will not need something as detailed as a Flash Remoting or Cold Fusion book. Something like the Flash MX Bible should give you a good start. It has a lot of basic to intermediate chapters and a couple of advanced chapters. Should be plenty for you to learn how to build a Flash intro and more. Covers Flash terminology, a fair amount of actionscript, sound, video, and compression.

Good luck,

Scott
    IP